Wondering about Seafoam

crue313

Ok, I'm thinking about running seafoam all through my pathy. I have some noises that sound like stuck lifters maybe, and some ticks and knocks. I was told that seafoam is like a "miracle in a bottle" type stuff. I was instructed to run 1/2 a bottle in the gas, and half a bottle in the brake booster vacuum line. I did a quick search on here but couldn't find anyone posting about the effects of using it, good or bad. So I'm going to give it a whirl. Does anyone have any suggestions or helpful advice before I go through with this? Its a 95 pathy with 196k miles. I bought it used so im trying to do everything I can to get it running well again. Let me know what you think.

I'm sure our fact sponge, Towncivilian, will tell you about the chemical make up of SeaFoam and if it's good or bad. I've heard people praise SeaFoam, but I've also heard people heavily praise Lucas products and apparently those are terrible for your vehicle.

What I can tell you is:

The instructions SeaFoam gives on the can (I think I'm remembering correctly from when I used it once) is to go 1/3, 1/3, 1/3. One third in the gas tank, one third in the crankcase, and one third to the intake through a vacuum line.

Go VERY slowly when you do it through the vacuum line. If you go too fast you can hydrolock your engine. Liquids don't compress the same and they will bend your rods

Well, as one who is usually very skeptical about any product or 'magic in a bottle / can'. I can say, that after using it on several vehicles, including my Pathy. I've never experienced any negative or harming results. I have used it in the fuel (one can every other fill up) in the crank case before an oil change, and run it through the vacuum line (Brake booster hose).

The results of including it in the gas, has resulted in a smoother idling engine, with a little better pulling power. Of course this is a 'seat of the pants' result. I noticed the truck seems to pull a little harder than with out sea foam. As for running through the vacuum lines, it did clean alot of varnish off the rocker arms, as viewed through the oil fill hole on the valve cover, and it blew alot of crap out the exhaust pipe after the truck was running in the garage. (Noted by the black carbon deposits on the wall!). I would recommend changing the oil and filter after adding it to the oil after no more than 150 - 200 miles.

I doubt it adds any significant horsepower improvements, even though the engine does feel like it runs smoother when mixed with the fuel. There are a number of videos on you tube, with various automobiles and opinions as to it's effectiveness. When used properly and according the instructions, and recommended oil change intervals, I'd say it shouldn't do any serious harm or damage.

Just my opinion.

That is a personal preference. Fuel quality and consistency varies a great deal. Living in the upper mid west, and dealing with 'winter blends' seems to be an ongoing struggle. For me, this is just 'cheap insurance' in keeping the fuel stable, and the injectors and fuel system a little cleaner.

oh @!*% really? Why? SeaFoam says you can leave it in for the whole length of the oil before you change it.

Yeah it says you can leave it in there for extended time but then 2 lines down on the bottle it says if you plan to leave it in there change the oil as soon as it gets dirty LOL. Which won't take long at all so there covering there butts with that phrase so no one can sue.

I've done it before but will never leave in very long.

seafoam is a cleaning agent, so it can free up some built up junk in the heads, which could then clog your oil filter. it opens up the bypass of course, but then you're not filtering anymore.

I have run seafoam through the gas tank and vacuum line and have never had any negative experiences either.

Ok went to there website to find it.

Here is what they say.

When adding Sea Foam® to oil, for long term maintenance cleaning, you must check your oil periodically for color and clarity, when your oil looks dirty change it.

Ok went to there website to find it.

Here is what they say.

When adding Sea Foam® to oil, for long term maintenance cleaning, you must check your oil periodically for color and clarity, when your oil looks dirty change it.

wow... of course. I didn't even see that part. Of course they would say something like that. Man, I put that stuff in when I did a Royal Purple oil change. That's why it looks black already

wow... of course. I didn't even see that part. Of course they would say something like that. Man, I put that stuff in when I did a Royal Purple oil change. That's why it looks black already

You sure it's black and not just a dark purple?

Seafoam is:

1 PALE OIL 4229 40-60% (not a solvent)

2 NAPHTHA 20 25-35% (white gas, lighter fluid, solvent)

3 IPA 125 10-20% (Isopropyl Alcohol, solvent)

The pale oil gives it some lubricating properties, the other two are strong solvents.

I wouldn't throw that in my crankcase, personally. I don't see any reason not to run some Seafoam through a vacuum line (although some of it will end up in the oil of course, thus the recommendation to change oil soon after) or through the gas.

Oil's color is not an indication of how much it's "used up". Your engine generates crap from the combustion process, blow-by, a ton of heat, etc, which is why the oil changes color. It's not like the additives magically disappear just because the oil turned dark. Some oils turn darker faster than others; oil in a diesel engine will turn black on the first turn over. :shrug: I would only be concerned if the oil smelled strongly of fuel.

Oil's color is not an indication of how much it's "used up". Your engine generates crap from the combustion process, blow-by, a ton of heat, etc, which is why the oil changes color. It's not like the additives magically disappear just because the oil turned dark. Some oils turn darker faster than others; oil in a diesel engine will turn black on the first turn over. :shrug: I would only be concerned if the oil smelled strongly of fuel.

VERY good point. Such a common misconception.

Edited by 1994SEV6

only effect i've ever seen Seafoam do is thin the oil out real quick and make a fun little smoke show when doing it through the vacuum line on the booster. I've never had any performance gains from it and personally consider it nothing but snake oil

only effect i've ever seen Seafoam do is thin the oil out real quick and make a fun little smoke show when doing it through the vacuum line on the booster. I've never had any performance gains from it and personally consider it nothing but snake oil

The smoke show used to be reason enough to do it for me :P sea foam smoke lasts considerably longer than water mist, or atf smoke. Sea foam next to an on ramp and flog it getting on the freeway :)

Generally the smoke is light colored but I have seen sea foam smoke come out very dark and stinky;

I sea foamed a very neglected Celica the air filter was black and it hadn't had in oil change in well over a year (as a daily driver), only 1.5 qt of thick Hershey Syrup came out (supposed to be 3 qt) The second oil change with some sea foam brought out more sludge and the smoke from sucking it from the brake booster was the worst sea foam smoke I'd ever seen. the car ran considerably better immediately after doing this. but in all other cases I have not really seen and big improvements from doing sea foam.

The only reason to Seafoam is if you have sludge for oil or if you like trolling people with smoke. If you have sludge for oil, seafoam your crankcase, run for about 100 miles, change your oil, problem (usually) solved. Make a note to change your oil more often than you have been, because you should never have sludge for oil.

Speaking of trolling with smoke... I kinda wanna put a bottle in under there, and put a tee in a vacuum line, with a solenoid valve on the hose running out of the tee... And into a bottle of seafoam. Someone riding your tail? Hit the Smoke Screen switch. ;)

I think the point here is that when used according to the manufacturers recommendations, and based on what solvents it contains it works as designed. Of course you have to use it at you're own discretion. I have torn down engines that have had sea foam run through them, and I have to admit they looked better (given the amount of miles on them). I personally replaced the engine in my Pathy 2 years ago, with an engine that came from a donor truck out of CA. After pulling the valve covers and replacing the gaskets I noticed alot of sludge and varnish on the rockers, springs etc... Obviously this truck hadn't seen very regular oil changes, and the compression was acceptable, but on the low side. I knew the guy that owned the donor truck, and it had 46,000 miles on it, and owned it from new. After I replaced the oils and filter 3 times within 500 mile intervals, I ran the Sea Foam treatment through it, and the lifters quit making noise at start up, the compression came up, and ran much smoother. The oil, when replaced did appear thinner, but I only ran it through the crankcase for 200 miles before changing it.

A month later I pulled the valve covers and a majority of the sludge, varnish and build up had seemed to have gotten better.

Now I just run it in the fuel, every other tank fill.

Speaking of trolling with smoke... I kinda wanna put a bottle in under there, and put a tee in a vacuum line, with a solenoid valve on the hose running out of the tee... And into a bottle of seafoam. Someone riding your tail? Hit the Smoke Screen switch. ;)

Ohhh!! I like that idea, the best use for it yet!! :D

B

Just like James Bond's Pathfinder!