Ah man. No third or OD, must force shifts 1st and 2nd

VW_Factor

Took a trip to Mt. Hood. Everything is just fine. Park at some bathrooms and take care of business.

On the way down, 3rd and/or overdrive went away. OD button still works while coasting, turning it off, brings the engine RPM up "compression braking". Otherwise, acceleration won't shift into it.

Leaving the shifter in the D or 2nd position, the tranmission stays in 2nd at a dead stop. However, pulling it into 1st nets a good 1st gear engagement.

Fluid was changed this past summer, and an auxiliary cooler was added, bypassing the stock. Fluid is not low, nor discolored or anything..

I'm thinking something electrical or something. Perhaps a relay or something isn't working and froze up in the cold weather?

Anyone else had something like that happen?

Reverse works fine??

Reverse works fine as well.

In a few days when it warms up, I'm going to climb under 'er and check all the electrical connectors. Didn't plow through any deep stuff or anything.

I am kinda hoping that perhaps there was some moisture in a relay or something and just headed up there, and parking at the brewery up there allowed it to freeze.

Do any of the relays under the hood have anything to do with trans shifting? Most all of them are original Nissan.

I'd check to make sure all of the electrical connections to the tranny and the TCU are good. May have gone in to limp mode for some reason.

I kind of wondered about that. However I don't think limp mode sticks the tranny constantly in second unless the selected gear is first. 2nd or D, regardless of OD selection its in 2nd. Converter didn't lock up either.

Have you checked the ECU for any codes yet?

Also what you have sounds like limp mode.

If the transmission stays in second and wont up shift into 3 and 4th thats the diagnoses of limp mode in the manual.

I would first check the codes to see if you have anything and also do you know if you tranny cooler was froze up?

Mine acted the same way during a heavy snow/ice storm the cooler was cramped full of ice and snow on it causing the tranny to not want to shift.

Have you checked the ECU for any codes yet?

Also what you have sounds like limp mode.

If the transmission stays in second and wont up shift into 3 and 4th thats the diagnoses of limp mode in the manual.

I would first check the codes to see if you have anything and also do you know if you tranny cooler was froze up?

Mine acted the same way during a heavy snow/ice storm the cooler was cramped full of ice and snow on it causing the tranny to not want to shift.

The aux tranny cooler is installed in front of the radiator albeit right up against it, and up high to keep junk out of it. We didn't have much snow and ice buildup on the front. ECU had no codes.

Could the tranny fluid just being too cold cause this?

Can't troubleshoot it anymore now, as its shifting perfectly this morning with absolutely zero intervention from anyone. :/

Stupid gremlins.

Were you spinning the wheels a lot?

Not a whole lot. Spun a couple broadies in an open parking lot. (LSD rear makes that fun). We parked and waited about 30 minutes for mountain traffic to die down a bit, restarted the truck, and noticed the trans not shifting properly.

FYI, the downloadable FSM pinned in the Garage section has an extensive trouble shooting section for the AT. No harm in posting/asking, but that would probably be your best tool...

Glad to hear it came back; lets hope it stays. ;)

B

• 4 weeks later...

I think it just went into limp mode from the sounds of it. My od worked (while coasting) but it would leave from second. Try as Slartiebartfat said and unhook the battory.

I have a 95 se 4x4 v6 automatic. It was running great ob the interstate on day and I came to a stop on the exit ramp and when I went to pull off it wouldnt hardly go and I had no reverse. It was as if it was stuck in a high gear. I pull the tranny pan and found no metal or any type of particles. So I changed the filter and fluid. The reverse still doesnt work and neither does 3rd or od. I have to rev the motor to 3,000 rpms to let it shift from 1st to 2nd. Any ideas what it could be. Other than the tanny issues everything works great.

Reverse needs the highest line pressure so you could have a clogged stock tranny cooler (in the radiator). It is a common killer that lets the tranny overheat. Make sure the tranny cooler is not obstructed or just bypass it for a test. Most of us bypass it completely and run an aftermarket cooler. Plenty of threads and discussions about it here...

B

Not even worth it.

Well I unhooked the battery and then hooked it back up. I also bypassed the cooler and still nothing changed. Gonna get it scanned tomoro to see if its in limp mode. I guess if that doesnt work then out the tranny will come to go to the shop.

Remember that the FSM has a significant diagnostic section on the AT. If you don't have a copy you can download it in the pinned thread in the Garage section. I'd definitely troubleshoot that way first.

B

:clickdalink:

I'm not sure what you'd scan to see if it's in limp mode... IIRC the light on the power mode switch blinks if it's limping.

Well after rulling everything out, its official. The tranny must come out. Still no reverse. Has anybody here rebuilt their auto tranny themselves. How difficult is it. I've never done a tranny before but I have done everything else from engines to rear ends and ect.. I have a quote for someone to do it but I was gonna try to save some $ if possible. Any info would be great.

Have you considered swapping a 5 speed in?

I would love to swap in a 5 speed but I dont know how hard it would be. I was,lookin for a 5 speed pathfinder but I couldnt pass up on the deal I got on this one. it's gonna be $900 to fix my auto. But if I could swap in a 5 speed cheaper I would much rather do that. What all would I need to do the swap? will my current drive shafts work with a 5 speed.

Yes, several people have done it. Beastpath comes to mind at first to look up.

Basically, it's not too hard, but some details such as pedals, dash vent routing, etc. Your best bet is to find a parts pathy, buy the whole thing, strip parts as you need them and then sell the rest to recoup some of the cost. Can it be done for less than $900 that way? Most definitely!!

Is it a project. Yes, but not in a bad way...

B

If you feel confident rebuilding the auto yourself and saving lots of money, then by all means go that route. But swapping in a 5 speed isnt that difficult, and as Precise said there are a few threads around with people who did it. When I was shopping for mine, I ran the other way when I found out it was a auto, unless they had a warranty from just rebuilding it. :thumbsdown: