87 waggy front axle (help)

? so if you found an 87 pathy for $250 i'll go in halves with you on it since we're both local lol

or if you pass on it let me know.. i might want it :)

Edited by kodi3482

Stock wagoneer, or a stock pathy? The initial post is a bit confusing...or I am just tired one...

If its a wagoneer, jump on it. You can scrap what you dont use for MORE than you paid...

If its a stock pathy, still a good deal if your wife/significant other wont mind it sitting somewhere so you can rob parts off of it...

? so if you found an 87 pathy for $250 i'll go in halves with you on it since we're both local lol

or if you pass on it let me know.. i might want it :)

i guess it was a crappy post...it is a wagoneer for 250.

250 plus the gas to tow it there... So maybe make $50 bucks to tow it to the crusher. After the title is changed over to your name.. so a little more gas money...

so if everything works out right ill get the Dana44 for frrreeeee...nice

Edited by stalker

If the front diff looks like this.... don't do it.

vacuumdisconnect.JPG

That's '83-'84 FSJ only.

Not a total deal breaker either.

You can pull the diff cover, remove the vacuum stuff, slide the engaging collar over and secure it with a hose clamp or a few tack welds.

Plug hole in diff cover from vacuum with a large bolt and a oil drain plug washer (it's up top so it will not leak).

After that it's like a regular FSJ front D44, we've been doing it for years on full size jeeps.

Only issue you get into is that if you break an inner shaft or the collar those parts are '83-'84 specific and getting a bit hard to find, but they are pretty beefy.

You can also run the '80-'82 and '85-'91 inner shafts from an FSJ (needs to be same length NT or WT) but the inner oil seal will not make contact on the smaller axle shaft.

That gets remedied with this so the gear oil will not leak out on an angle or when making right turns:

superior-axleTube-seal_1.jpg

Not a perfect solution, that would involve pulling the carrier and sourcing the correct size inner oil seal for that side.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I frankensteined a dana 44 together. I got a bare housing and a bunch of spare pathy parts from my dentist, who by chance has the exact same truck and SASed, for free cuz the mrs' wanted them out from under the deck. I then picked up one of these internal disco's d44 for cheep and gutted it for parts. In the end the housing is a mystery where it came from, but the carrier, hubs, outter stubs and rotors are from the waggy, the flat top knuckles and spindles are a ford f250, inner shafts are chromoly, aftermarket 5.13 gears and HD diff cover, warn hubs, custom brake brackets to hook up the gm calipers, and of course all new bearings, seals, ball joints and u joints.