Pulling/Wandering in 4WD

preith

Hello everyone, Happy New Years. Long time 'lurker', first time poster, great tech info here which has helped me greatly in the past.

First, my apologies if this has been covered, I did search but couldn't find anyone describing the same symptoms previously. My brother owns a WD21 and as the resident "mechanic" in the family I'm forced to fix it for him, but being a Nissan guy at heart I don't mind working on it too much. :) Anyway I'll try my best to reiterate second hand the problem. It's been a very mild winter here in Wisconsin this year, we just got our first measurable snowfall today and of course he didn't think until now to try the 4WD. The main issue appears to be the vehicle wandering or pulling, mainly on wetter portions of the roads whereas snowcovered don't seem to be as bad. I suspect one of the auto-hubs is not engaging, thoughts?

Also, this one has me scratching my head. He also said he had a "one time" issue backing up while in 4WD Hi, what he described as a "sputter" and then finally engaging. Am I correct to assume 4WD disengages when in reverse automatically? It's not an issue while in 2WD, so I'm hoping it's not a trans and/or transfercase issue.

He'll be coming over tomorrow for me to check it out but I'd like to get some ideas prior. Any input is much appreciated!

Edited by preith

Sounds like you need to check out the front end for any loose/worn parts and have it aligned.

For the other issue it sounds like the hubs, when going from drive to reverse be gentle on the accelerator so they won't skip and then slam in.

Hubs, center link, tie rod ends, wheel bearings. I bet it is one of these and it sounds like you know how to check them. Hopefully it is just a sticking hub and cleaning it is all it takes...

B

It's been a very mild winter here in Wisconsin this year, we just got our first measurable snowfall today and of course he didn't think until now to try the 4WD. The main issue appears to be the vehicle wandering or pulling, mainly on wetter portions of the roads whereas snowcovered don't seem to be as bad. I suspect one of the auto-hubs is not engaging, thoughts?

He'll be coming over tomorrow for me to check it out but I'd like to get some ideas prior. Any input is much appreciated!

As bad or not at all. Since, when on pavement/hard surfaces the 4wd WILL pull/bind. If a hub was out it wouldnt pull in the front at all since there is no front locker and the hub that is broke is where the power will go too. Although it maybe the hub locking in and out but I highly dought that because it would make noise.

The best bet is tie rods, alignment and correct tire pressure. Plus having thread on the donuts helps.

Edited by nismothunder

Thanks so much for the input guys! I took it for a test drive today, certainly has a mind of its own in 4WD HI. Put all 4 on jack stands and had him cycle the 4WD a few times, the hubs seem to engage/disengage fine, CV's look good - no boot tears or play. With that said there's definitely play in both the center link and the passenger inner tire rod for sure, the rest is suspect, I'll be ordering a complete steering kit, had this in mind, what do you guys think?:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NISSAN-PATHFINDER-93-95-CENTER-LINK-TIE-BALL-IDLER-/350469400425?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item51999aa769

On a side note as a thank you, I feel a bit foolish sharing this but thought some may find it interesting. My affinity for Nissan stems mostly from my 240/280Z road racer, although I did own a '96 2wd Hardbody at one time too. I find a comfortable familiarity with the Pathy - which is a nice and clean California vehicle, anyway the Z is Blue #99:

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showgallery.php?ppuser=9538&username=preith

Edited by preith

i just ordered the generic full front end kit from ebay (but it had the lime green background in the pictures, so prob same parts just diff seller). the price was pretty much the same. i am going to install them today/tomorrow as i can sure notice my front end play with my 33x12.5 tires and 15x10 steel rims :) lol.

the parts arrived and were packaged well and they look to be very high quality i must say. every single joint has a greasable zerk fitting as well! very nice feature to have that on every balljoint/steering joint.

ill let you know how everything goes and how they feel after.

EDIT:: that kit also has swar bar end links. nice one, mine didnt.

Edited by Nefarious

by the way dude. i LOVE your Z!!!! seriously that thing is epic man. totally digging the style too, right down my alley. I have a 91 S13 Fastback and a 90 Z32 Slicktop, as well as the WD21. way to show the nissan sports car love!! I really want to find a clean enough 240/280 to build... that is my next dream car as im almost done cleaning up the 300ZX :)