Is it worth it

Hoppy

I have found a 95 Pathy with202,000 miles on it 4 3200.00 body looks Ok and interior is OK Just worried about the Automatic Trans Everyones opinion is important to me on this one. I am thinking on a purchase for my 17 year old son..Thanks to All .I want to get him in on the fun i have been having with mine lol :scratchhead:

I have found a 95 Pathy with202,000 miles on it 4 3200.00 body looks Ok and interior is OK Just worried about the Automatic Trans Everyones opinion is important to me on this one. I am thinking on a purchase for my 17 year old son..Thanks to All .I want to get him in on the fun i have been having with mine lol :scratchhead:

My 1994 Pathfinder (auto) has almost 208 thousand miles. and no record of the trans being changed... just make sure it shift allright. and isnt laggy to go from reverse to drive, and no slamming into them either... :) my second gear is a lil wore out though, likes to slide in under a slightly harsh acceleration. also, take the trans dipstick out and smell it, if it smells burnt, back away. or even if it isnt a pinkish red, beware. :)

ugh. That's a horrible deal. 202k miles for $3200? Eek. Around here, for $3200, I could easily get a WD21 with under 100k miles. They are all over the place. I suppose the options make a difference, but unless it's an LE with EVERYTHING, I wouldn't even consider buying it.

Currently, there is a WD21 with 220k miles and the owner is asking $600. It seems to be in pretty good condition too.

I don't want to be a troll, but take a look at these.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/cto/2735758478.html 1995 LE for $1950. Almost immaculate condition, but he conveniently doesn't show the mileage.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/cto/2744608562.html Here's the 1995 with 220k for $600. Seems pretty good.

Just look around man. For $3200, I would only buy a extremely low mileage WD21 with all the options or a pretty good R50

As far as the automatic transmission, it's really a question of maintenance. If the person was really good with the maintenance, then I wouldn't worry about it. More often than not, people didn't even know about the auto trans issue. Even if you changed the fluid every 30k miles like you are supposed to, your trans would probably be fried. The WD21 trans needed the fluid changed every 15k or so miles to be in the safe zone. Look for an aftermarket trans cooler, that will really answer the question, or just ask the seller.

But if you wanted to test it, kyle's method would be correct. Just see how it shifts. My auto trans shifted hard from N to reverse to N to Drive for 6 months before it broke completely. I had no idea that the hard shift was really a problem. I just thought it was a primitive transmission and it wasn't supposed to be soft in a truck.

Edited by 1994SEV6

I think an old Nissan pathfinder or pickup it a great first car but for 3200 or more it better be freaking MINT. And Mint is not a first car. with 200k I would not pay that much, especially for a kids first car.

Or go spend $200 like this kid got lol.

• Like 1

Great info from all so far,Unnfortunatly in east Tenn these vehicles are well sought out average retail on a 95 4x4 your looking at 3000.00 with an average of 175,000 miles.he presently has an olds cutlass ciera I have put at least 1500 in it after paying 500 for it last winter. i am just tired of spending money on it and I was looking for something for us to get out and play in together you know Father Son quality time. body has a small hood dent and looks good the interior has only 2 bad spots and thats the material on the door pull handles.. I was going to go drive it in the morning and possibly trade his car in the deal to lower the price..

My guess is that it isn't the greatest deal, but with these trucks it REALLY depends on the specific condition of the vehicle. The replacement value of some of the modified WD21s that members here own is probably like $10k or something, but they aren't "worth" that much in the book. Lots of trucks are probably worth close to $0 because they need so much work just to make them road-worthy.

mmm, too spendy. Mine (95 SE, fully loaded, good tires, 108,000 miles was $2200 as a private sale). Needed a major tune-up, fluids, brakes, rotors, shocks, exhaust & bushings. Rides great now after 1500 in parts and I did all that work myself. UNLESS, like others have said, it is minty and all the major tune up stuff is fresh, you gotta beat down the price.

As long as maintenance was kept up on the truck, the transmission COULD be okay. When you go look at it, see if you can spot an auxiliary cooler, that should mean that the factory cooler was bypassed and it should be okay. But definitely drive it, the shifts should be quick and firm. If it shifts lazily, the transmission is on its way out. Drive it soft, and drive it hard, make it shift at redline, that kind of thing. if you're used to driving a five speed, you know what riding the clutch is like, and an automatic transmission "riding" its clutches, is going to feel the same way as a manual. as I said, the shifts should be quick and firm. An automatic transmission should shift faster than you can.

Also, just a note, hard shifts in an automatic transmission are not bad. bad for the people that want a super squishy ride like soccer moms and grandma, good for the people that want their transmission to last forever.

Too much. There's plenty of great ones out there in great condition, you can find a manual version, and with lower Miles for cheaper then that. Why don't you do what I did and make it an adventure with your son. I bought mine in Florida even though I'm from Canada. You'd have a story to tell for the rest of your lives and it will make the bond for the vehicle all that more strong. Doesn't have to be in another country or anything but you can make your search radius further.

Edited by Dowser

I paid $2.200 for my 94 last year and had to fly from So. Cal to Salt lake city and drive it home with a clutch slightly slipping, since then I put about a grand into it, clutch, starter. warn hubs, and the lego wheels

I agree that the price is a little high, I paid the same for a 95 with under 100k on it.

About the tranny, it is a little bit of a gamble, but as long as the fluid is in good shape, it shifts/drives well and reverse works without hesitation, it should be ok. I would say that the first thing you should do is make sure the stock cooler is clear, install an aftermarket tranny cooler after that and an inline tranny fluid filter before the stock cooler. Then change the fluid and drive it!!

All of this is written up here and can be done for about $100-200.

B