Custom Center Console

iceageg

When we purchased our '92 Pathy there were a number of known issues that we are fixing as time and funds allow. One of those was a smashed center console. After checking several scrap yards in the area and visiting a few part outs it became aparent that every used center console available had been smashed in a similar manner to our own. I decided to make one from scratch using the same techniques that I have used to make speaker boxes in the past.

Mats:

Wood for skeleton (I used .75"x1.5"x8' but thinner material would work)

Wood glue for skeleton

Screws/brads/nails to assemble skeleton

Drill/screw driver/hammer

Fleece to support skin

Optional chicken wire or similar material to form interior pockets if desired

Staple gun & staples

Fiberglass sheets

Fiberglass resin

Cups for mixing resin

Brushs to apply resin

Body filler (if you intend to paint)

Multiple grits of sand paper (if you intend to paint)

Paint (if you intend to paint)

Vinyl (if you want the leather look)

Carpet (if you want to cover on the cheap without painting)

Spray adhesive (if you don't paint)

The basic techniques for this can be found in hundreds of places online so I will not detail every nuance of how to operate a saw, stapler, brush, sand paper, paint can, fiber glass, carpet or vinyl. When I am finished I will come back and post links to good resources for those if desired. For now I will simply post a few pics of my progress and update the first post as updates are available. I have limited bandwidth in my life so am seldom able to start a project and finish it as rapidly as humanly possible.

Planning:

Spend some time at the start to envision your final product. Now is the time to decide on any special features your existing console did not have. For instance, the small recess under the parking break that could serve as a small dish for coins or a garage door opener is absolute crap. It is not deep enough and the sides are sloped so anything in that dish goes flying under the seat when going around a corner. The one I designed has strait sides, is deeper, and extends farther forward towards the gear shift than the original. I have also accounted for a built in holser on either side, a small hidden compartment and a pocket facing the rear seat, but those are details for later. For now decide what features you want and envision them in the car. Measure the space you have and verify that your plan will work. Modify as needed and measure again. Make sure you write down all of those dimensions and ensure that the measurements add up. I used a CAD program to make 2D scematics but paper and pencil have always served me well in the past. This diagram will allow you to figure out how much of what material you will need for your build.

Assemble skeleton:

Now that you have your diagram and aquired the materials you need it is time to start assembly. Brads are often used for assembling the skeletons of speaker boxes but I used screws. You will want to predrill the holes for the screws to avoid splitting the thin lumber. The fiberglass provides most of the strength but every little bit helps. You will see some triangle gussets in my design for this reason. Depending on the fit/finish you are looking for you could run the exposed edges through a router after the glue dries to round the corners. I did not elect to do this myself.

IMG_0110.jpg

Fleece inner skin:

Once the glue has had a chance to set overnight you can apply the fleece that will provide the shape for the fiberglass. Use the staple gun to attach the fleece to the frame and pull it snug around all of your formed surfaces. If you have done speaker boxes with this technique before you will be frustrated by the number of interior folds and cutting you need to do at each corner. Fortunately, the fiberglass and body filler will cover up any blemishes so this step does not need to be aesthetically perfect. For the rear facing pocket I used chicken wire to for the pocket then wrapped the wire in fleece. The wire/fleece assembly was then stapled in place and will be glassed over. This would likely be much easier without the outer pocket skin in place but I am going to try it with the outer fleece already in place. After the fiberglass skin is complete I will cut out the slot for the parking break. I already know that the arm rest/compartment will be overly large and be partially in the way of the parking break but I already understand that and am ok with it. Of note, in my build I already know I will need to cut the side fabric down to improve access to the internal holsters. This will require me to create and attach the holsers prior to glassing the outer skin. I will provide details about creating the holsers as well once they are complete.

ian_001.jpg

ian_002.jpg

I currently have several projects competing for my time. I appologize in advance to those who are hoping for more rapid progress but I assure you I am using every available moment to get this done.

Edited by iceageg

I'm sorry but that looks like utter @!*%e.

I really do hope that's only temporary. :rofl:

Maybe someone that lives closer to you can help you out?

Can you take a picture of your broken one?

Why not go post in the Parts Wanted section?

• Like 1

I don't, this is the most ridiculous thing I ever seen. You can usually fix those cracked consoles with simple epoxy or bondo. Wood console? GTFO.

You GTFO. Don't @!*% on his parade. If you would read, he said that it will be fiber glassed over and this is just temporary.

Keep up with the good work man and don't listen to Tungsten. Good luck with the project!

Have you thought about mounting a power outlet to the back of the console and adding some nice cup holders?

You GTFO. Don't @!*% on his parade. If you would read, he said that it will be fiber glassed over and this is just temporary.

I don't care if it would be polished and fiber glassed and what not. It still doesn't change the fact that this is utter garbage because you can't polish a turd. He can spend more time on modifying the stock console to look better rather than fabricating a new one that doesn't even have the original fit.

Edited by Tungsten
  • Like 1

Neverthless, it is a good and positive write up, "likable" or not.

Sharing is the most important so that everyone can see the possibilities.

Give him some credit, the finished product will be original.

I know I'm curious. Keep up. :aok:

Dont listen to Tungston man. No one else on hear does. There's a reason he's got a -69 and counting reputation. :rolleyes:

Clearly he has no idea about anything you are doing and what the end result will be.

At any rate. Thats a good start! Should be cool when its finished. As mentiond, I'd be finding a way to get some cup holders in there. Dont forget you can move the E-brake arm over closer to the diers side with a bit of minor fabrication to make more space for other things. Can't wait to see the next update. :aok:

*shakes head* Tungston... Just couldnt help yourself? Had to spit your opinion on here? :doh::fish:

Dont listen to Tungston man. No one else on hear does. There's a reason he's got a -69 and counting reputation. :rolleyes:

*shakes head* Tungston... Just couldnt help yourself? Had to spit your opinion on here? :doh::fish:

Not true, there have been at least a few members who asked me for help in a PM. As far as the rep goes, there are a few members on here that hate me for some reason. At least I'm honest about my opinion and I'm only trying to help. I'm not saying his craftsmanship sucks but only that this looks like a big waste of time.

• Like 1

In Tungsten's defence it does look like @!*%. Time put into making it look pretty at this stage of the build is time wasted. The fleece all gets covered up and sanded over. I would be stupid to waste time making it attractive at this stage.

I did consider cup holders but a larger general purpose compartment and twin built in holsers was the order for this project. I like the idea of adding a power outlet though . . . hmmmmm.

As for the condition of the existing console, it is missing from the parking brake back. The PO told us it was smashed beyond recognition and no longer has the pieces. I am stuck with finding one or making one. I think my choice is clear.

Edited by iceageg

I don't get the wood part about it. It's still wood no matter how you cover it up. Does this serve as a model before using fiberglass? I would try to get a console first, I'm sure someone around here can have a decent one for you. Using fiberglass is a very tedious process and you will need to account for the fit of the factory unit.

• Like 2

The wood is simply the skeleton that the fiberglass forms around. While I did try to build it as stout as practical, the fiberglass itself adds tremendous strength to the whole assembly. For comparison, speaker boxes are often made with only a base and 3 sides with slender dowels holding up wooden rings. Fleece and fiberglass is layed to make the side(s) of the box that you can see. The rings then hold up competition quality speakers that can easily weigh 50lbs each and create a tremendous vibration.

As for the fiberglass itself . . . yes it is messy and time consuming. In the end though I will have something I created myself. However, if you can find me a center console for a 92 Pathy that won't fall apart like all of the others I've found in Denver that includes two built in concealed holsters I might scrap my project and buy it.

not everyone is an "oem only" nazi like the tungsten. can't wait to see what the final product looks like.

As somebody who makes his living off of the production of aftermarket parts, OEM nazis don't bother me in the least. And I am quite sure my wife is more eager to see the final result as well.

And the problem with wood is...?

It's not as stable as MDF and it warps. All properly made speaker boxes use MDF.

The wood is simply the skeleton that the fiberglass forms around. While I did try to build it as stout as practical, the fiberglass itself adds tremendous strength to the whole assembly. For comparison, speaker boxes are often made with only a base and 3 sides with slender dowels holding up wooden rings. Fleece and fiberglass is layed to make the side(s) of the box that you can see. The rings then hold up competition quality speakers that can easily weigh 50lbs each and create a tremendous vibration.

As for the fiberglass itself . . . yes it is messy and time consuming. In the end though I will have something I created myself. However, if you can find me a center console for a 92 Pathy that won't fall apart like all of the others I've found in Denver that includes two built in concealed holsters I might scrap my project and buy it.

Ok well for starters I would have started with an MDF frame which is more stable and doesn't warp. The skeleton you have right now looks crooked as hell. I might have missed it but would this all be touched up on the fiberglass or is this something you are going to adjust in the skeleton first?

If you want a replacement console you can try your luck in the Parts Wanted section of the forum.

Edited by Tungsten

I love it. I love cool custom stuff like this that actually has a purpose. It is a really cool idea and I thought it looked alright. THIS is how stuff starts. It could look better, but I think there's a lot of potential.

What's funny is..I read all the posts and Tungsten was a pretty big jerk and I kept thinking "wtf, why are you on his ass so hard when it's a good idea?" and then I remembered, I have a center console for sale. I'm trying to get rid of mine. Do you have an automatic or manual?