Lug Nut torque

findmypath

All,

Recently I bought a air compressor to help me with things around the house and the garage. I also pickup up a impact wrench so that I don't have to run to the shop to do tire rotations etc. However, I was reading on some sites that it is not recommended to tighten your lug nuts with a impact wrench.

Is that true?

How do you guys do it?

Should I just return the impact wrench and buy a torque wrench instead?

I saw my mechanic break loose and tighten lug nuts all the time so I assumed its fine but some folks had not so pleasant experiences with tightening lug nuts with a impact wrench. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

You can tighten lugs with an impact, but use a torque stick and start the first few threads by hand as not to damage the stud or nut.

accutorq.jpeg

Although personally I go for the trusty torque wrench.

Edited by adamzan

90-100 lbs IIRC and no, don't use an impact gun unless it has an accurate torque setting or you use a torque adapter. I've broken a tire star on the side of the road trying to remove lug nuts and ever since then I torque my own lug nuts and by hand. Not like it's hard...

B

Impact wrenches(at least the ones most people can afford) are only to be used to remove fasteners. Tighten them with an air/manual ratchet, and then use a torque wrench and the correct pattern & setting for whatever you are tightening down. People watching pit crews in NASCAR don't realize the impact wrenches being used to change tires are precision-calibrated units that cost about $2000 each. Impact wrenches will over-tighten fasteners, and can warp hubs and brake rotors and damage wheel bearings because the clamping forces are uneven. I do use an impact wrench occasionally for speed, when tightening fasteners, but I have the impact gun set to its very lowest setting so it will stop as soon as it hits any resistance at all, so I don't damage anything. Even with this, I need to start all the fasteners by hand so nothing gets cross-threaded. Impact wrenches are just part of the toolkit. If you are limited on funds, and trade in your impact wrench on a torque wrench, remember to buy a breaker bar for loosening things. A torque wrench is only meant for tightening.

Edited by RJSquirrel

When I'm doing lug nuts, I just thread them on finger tight, tighten with the lug wrench, then jump a little on the end of the wrench (I'm not that heavy) for final torque. No issues yet. :)

Aren't impact wrenches were more about removing stuck bolts than assembling stuff? A guy tried to mount axles in my dad's Audi with an impact wrench, and one of them straight fell out. :ohno01: Of course, he also forgot the locktite, so there's that.

I think I'm going to get a torque wrench and play it safe. Thanks everyone for the advice. The last thing I want to do is to over tighten the lug nuts or tighten them so much that I can't take them off on the side of the road.

Thanks again.

Impacts are nice, but I neve trust them or those torque sticks adman posted (they are only as good as the gun they are connected to). You can get a decent torque wrench pretty affordable (you don't need some fancy digital display that brushes your teeth while you tighten the lugs). It's a good investment and will come in handy when doeing some engine work as well if you start to get into it.

And I torque my wheels at 95ft.lb. on my aluminums and 105 ft.lb. on my steelies

Some shops use impact wrenches irresponsibly. Got my tires mounted at a fountain tire and I had to get my impact out just to take the wheels off. Thank goodness I didn't notice in the middle of nowhere with a flat I couldn't change...