Convert standard rear axle to limited slip?

leggy

I'm NOT suggesting that the LSD is worth changing to, but I can attest to being able to roll out of a flexed out position (driver's rear wheel completely dangling) because of the limited slip. I've had to practice how much brake I use while giving a little gas. I've now done it a handful of times and think I can make it work quite regularly now. Thunderbolt watched me do this on Red Cone Pass about 2 weeks ago and honestly it's feels pretty cool to pull off when it looks like a new line is in order.

Again, not trying to sway you either way, just my :my2cents:

Wouldn't using the brakes like this work on an open diff too?

If you were feeling ambitious you could try cut brakes... basically one e-brake for either rear wheel. Or my crazy idea, which involves putting a pivot under the factory e-brake, hooking brake cables to the sides, and then pushing the brake lever from side to side to clamp down on just the one wheel that's uselessly spinning.

What's that? I'm overthinking this?

You have no idea. :D

In another thread I made on this topic in the garage section, it was explained that apparently the differential case for the LSD has a smaller interior than the open version so the locker won't fit. By differential case what I mean is the "container" that attaches to the ring gear that contains the spider gears... Pics in FSM... but FSM doesn't mention the relative size. Shrug.

The ARB locker completely replaces the differential case, so unless the third member housings are different between LSD and open, the ARB will fit. I think there's confusion about how the ARB works compared to other locking diffs, such as a Detroit locker (which does re-use the open diff case, and replaces only the spider and/or side gears).

From what I can tell after reading the installation manual for the ARB RD136, it doesn't matter whether you have an LSD or an open diff. The RD135 for the 33-spline H233B (which fits the R50), is the same. Here's an diagram of the RD135.

Anyway, my advice would be to stay away from the stock LSD if you drive on trails where you get wheels in the air, especially when climbing. No amount of parking brake application will prevent the engine torque from being applied only to that dangling wheel. Now, if you were somehow able to figure out how to independently apply the parking brake to each wheel, that could work, but in my experience, the parking brake isn't really that strong anyway.

On the other hand, if you are only looking for a mild performance upgrade for ice, light snow or mud, the LSD would be an improvement.

The ARB locker completely replaces the differential case, so unless the third member housings are different between LSD and open, the ARB will fit. I think there's confusion about how the ARB works compared to other locking diffs, such as a Detroit locker (which does re-use the open diff case, and replaces only the spider and/or side gears).

Hmm, yep, from what I can see, you are right! So it seems that if you go with arb, it does not matter which oem diff you have and people just must be confused due to how some other lockers work. Thanks.

If I recall correctly, the R50s came with two possible ratios: 4.363:1 or 4.636:1. The former was on LE/XE models, and the latter on SE models. I have an SE, so I have 4.636. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

I just checked out my setup. The metal placard on the firewall (pass. side) says HG43 axle. According to this site: http://forums.nicoclub.com/all-you-needed-to-know-about-nissan-axles-through-2004-t233955.html that means I have an R200 (front) and H233B (rear) with a 4.363 gear ratio.

Is that odd? The truck has an automatic transmission, but 4.363 gearing.. I thought that automatics got the 4.636 gearing?

Odd? I don't really know. Nissan does so many weird things one can not just assume since he/she has an Auto or Manual trans he will have options A or B. Along with their trim packages, they pretty much threw in whatever they felt like for each. (I have found out)

Heh, like those Fiats - which all had the "optional" clock, just that if you didn't order it, they stuck a plastic panel over it so that it wasn't visible?**

(** Probably an urban legend)

It's funny that you are asking this. I am actually right in the middle of swapping out a LSD in my R50. My 98 SE didnt have a LSD but I have a part 97 that did. Also my passenger side axle I am assuming it tweaked because it keeps ruining the wheel seal. So I am also swapping out that axle as well. In my opinion it is a great idea. As long as you are a good driver then driving in the snow is no problem. It will help with traction a ton. It not very hard either. I started pulling apart the LSD axle about 45 min ago and am already done cleaning a preping everything. Give me another hour or 90 min and I'll be done. I say go for it if you have a LSD.