ATF Fluid Level

SRN

I installed a B&M Transmission Fluid cooler and now I'm having a strange thing occur with the fluid level and I was hoping for some insight.

When the vehicle is cool, the dip stick shows full (top of cool level marker). When the vehicle is hot, the fluid level is WAY high. Far above the hot marker. This is even after I let it sit for a few minutes to allow the fluid to flow back into the pan.

Anyone have an idea about whats up? Should I just go with the cool marker and assume all is well?

This is how I was told to check it, drive it around for 5 minutes (not hard, just normally), then Go from P to 1 and back stopping in each gear for a second or 2 then put in it park and check the level. The morons had overfilled mine when I first had it changed so I had to drain some out of the pan and then top it back up to get it to a normal level. Talk about PITA.

I believe Fluid should be checked when it is above 110F with the engine running and transmission in Neutral after running it in each gear for a few seconds.

I'm pretty sure that it should be checked in Park; not Neutral.

This is how I was told to check it, drive it around for 5 minutes (not hard, just normally), then Go from P to 1 and back stopping in each gear for a second or 2 then put in it park and check the level. The morons had overfilled mine when I first had it changed so I had to drain some out of the pan and then top it back up to get it to a normal level. Talk about PITA.

The FSM says this except to drive around for 10 minutes after the trans is at operating temperature. You could have used a suction gun or something similar to suck some fluid out instead of doing the mess with the drain plug.

I think you are missing a pronoun.

A "multi-use siphon pump" can be found at Harbor Freight for $5 after coupon, but I don't know if HF is around in Canada or what the price would be. I'd link to it, but the HF site seems to be down.

If you didn't lose much/any fluid when you put in the new cooler, I wouldn't worry about the level in the transmission. When I had the HD trans swapped in to my old truck, the fluid read way high, but it shifted perfect and still does to this day afaik!