pulling a trailer

NextToAlaska

So what kinda heavy lodas have you guys pulled with your R50? i want to start using my pathfinder to pull the bobcat around, but want to know what you all have pulled with yours before I take on the very heavy trailer/bobcat. Dont want my transmission to wear out haha = /

X2, good question, I'm going to be moving in 2 weeks with a 5x8 uhaul trailer LOADED up with my whole apartment and the back of the pathy PACKED with a Thule on the roof. Drviing through the mountains in BC. wondering how the old 3.3 will do..

I just did two trips in one day pulling a 6x12 open uhaul trailer about 20 miles one way and had zero issues with my 98. As long as the trailer has breaks it's not a big deal, just takes longer to get up to speed. I didn't even notice it was back there once i got up to speed and stopping was no problem either with the brakes on the uhaul trailer. I had 2 fridges, a couch (with foldaway bed), 2 dressers, a wine fridge, and boxes of misc stuff (half of them full of books). And the back of the pathy was filled completely, So I'd guess I was over the 3500lb tow rating but had no problems. Backing it up my brother's driveway where it was pretty steep, she sputtered a little but that could be because of my clutch and tranny going out. :thumbsdown:

I pull a small trailer for work, it only weighs about 1700lbs when fully loaded with water and supplies but the pathy tows it no issues no need for turning off od or anything. Its like its not even there. May want to look more into brakes though, of course my load is often live weight which likes to push you around more but none the less its something to consider.

903.jpg

I haven't towed anything heavier than a pop-up tent trailer with our R50. That was easy, but not much over 2k lbs with gear.

WIth other vehicles I have owned the common theme I heard was "don't tow in OD" to save your trans. This was with GM vehicles and was doable since the axle gears in GMs are typically higher than in pathfinders (3.42:1 vs 4.363:1 for example). To not use OD in the pathy I think the revs would be very high on the freeway and tolerable but kinda high on regular highways. Any thoughts on that? A pathy auto trans is not cheap.

I haven't towed anything heavier than a pop-up tent trailer with our R50. That was easy, but not much over 2k lbs with gear.

WIth other vehicles I have owned the common theme I heard was "don't tow in OD" to save your trans. This was with GM vehicles and was doable since the axle gears in GMs are typically higher than in pathfinders (3.42:1 vs 4.363:1 for example). To not use OD in the pathy I think the revs would be very high on the freeway and tolerable but kinda high on regular highways. Any thoughts on that? A pathy auto trans is not cheap.

I'm towing an enclosed 12x6 trailer and always use the OD with no problems. Otherwise your constantely on the gas.

OK, here is a link to a tow load calculator:

Link

Max Combined Gross Weight for an Auto Pathy is 9500 lb.

The other major limit you should pay attention to is max tongue weight...with a class 3 hitch, it's 500 lb. With a trailer loaded properly, 10-15% of the total weight would be on the tongue. 15% of 3500 is 500 pounds.

To answer the question: the most weight I've towed was about 3600 lb. The pathy pulled with no trouble up to 45 mph with O/D off. However, even with trailer brakes, stopping was the limiting factor. Brake fade in the mountains would be a major concern for me at this weight.

I did a cross country trip towing 2200 lb with the pathy loaded with luggage and stuff. Maybe a Combined total weight near 7000lb. It required a lot of patience going up-hill, the pathy doesn't have the power to do 70mph up steep grades. My recommendation? Up-hill = switch off overdrive, and aim for 50 mph/80kph. Take your time and you won't overheat the engine or tranny or use too much gas.

From my experience, you can't go up a hill with the O/D off towing a trailer that's around 3,500 lbs or drive on the freeway at 60 mph, it really bogs down the engine. You need to keep the RPMs up above 2,000. I actually do have electric brakes on the trailer and using a prodigy electric brake controller with no problems on brake fade.

The heaviest I have ever towed with an r50 was a wd21 on a dolly. With a 5speed and the 3.3. I didn't even know it was there half the time.

With my wd21 though, I have towed a lot more than the 3500lb max capacity. I towed my friends VW Gti on a dual axle car trailer that weighed probably 1800lbs plus the car that was full of parts that weights at least 2000lbs (weight of the car). Plus 3 people in the truck. It would do 100km/h on the freeway. It was revving at about 3500 with od off. It didn't seem to mind it at all. I didn't have a brake control for the brakes so I had to be careful when stopping though.

In my red R50 I was pulling reguarly 5000 to 8500 pounds including a full load of tools and guys. it ranged form lawn care equpiment to cut up trees. Never really going over 45 mph. A few trips on the highway at about 60mph with about 7500 pounds on a dual axle trailer (8x16) and up to 6500pounds on my regualr single axle trailer (6x14).

Me and the 5x8 Uhaul have been pretty good friends. I've driven it fully loaded with my whole apartment in the trunk/roof/trailer going through the mountains and never had a problem. I always kept the od on or I would have had to stop for gas every 10 miles. But to get it up and over the hills going 60+mph got into the 4k plus rpms. But, she ran great and made it every time. I even once drove pulling a 5x8 900+ miles straight in one day. That was a long day but I was always crusin at 70 and never had a problem. The knock sensor is known to have some issues if you haven't already replaced it when pulling a load. I have replaced mine,so I haven't seen a single problem since the replacement.

Mines a manual tranny so I think I'll be fine. I don't think the 5x8 uhauls have brakes though..? I don't have a brake controller either, just the 6?? pin flat trailer hookup. I'm going to take my trip slow and I'm not going over any major mountain passes, but a few good hill climbs and descends.. From what everyone's saying it sounds like the pathy is quite capable at towing. Why would the autos have a 5000 lb limit and the manuals only 3500? Is it the same limits for 3.3 and 3.5's?

The 3500 v. 5000 lb question has been asked before. I don't think anyone has come up with a really good answer. Some of the thinking is that it's a design thing based on the gearing (transmission and final) or because automatics make it easier to tow?

Automatic owners who tow regularily: Do you have an add on trans cooler?

Not me. I thought about it, but I wasn't able to find an R50 kit and didn't want to mess with customizing something.

I don't tow but added a trans cooler & aux inline filter anyway. I haven't towed anything personally, but my brother towed a light jetski once and small U-Haul trailers have been towed before (just with stock cooler) and never had any problems. Probably nothing over 500-1000 lbs ever.

Edited by Towncivilian

The most ive ever towed with mine was a 3 place Sled trailer... thats only like 1800 pounds though. I think the bobcat it self weighs more then that >.>, Iam clearing lot about 3 hours outta town on my weekends and my truck costs me about 60 bucks there and back everytime.....

Ive only towed other trucks with my Jimmy =D, and Update! Towed the bobcat with my pathfinder yesterday, On flat surface it was fine. Hill were abit of trouble and so was stopping. I imagine if i had trailer brakes it would have worked alot better on the stopping part, Gearing down to 2nd helped abit aswell.