Which Optima Battery?

moto-m

I noticed the D34 and D34-78 seem to be the same except the D34-78 has top and side terminals. Also, the D34-78 has 800 cranking amps and the D34 has 720. Weird thing is that the D34-78 is less money? Where do you get the adapter plate?

Edited by moto-m

I've owned several Optimas for many years, but recently after two of them (a yellowtop and a redtop) died quite unexpectedly in 2 different vehicles, I switched to Sears Diehard Platinum batteries, which have a greater reserve capacity than the Optimas and also have higher cranking amps. The Pathfinder can use a Platinum P-1, a Platinum P-4 or a Platinum PM-2 (which is the marine equivalent of the P-1, with additional posts on top). I have the PM-2, along with an Odyssey PC680 as an emergency starting battery.

If you read reviews online comparing the Diehard Platinums to Optimas, you'll find that the Diehards get favorable reviews.

Just my 2 cents.

I believe the Die Hard Platinum is made by the same manufacturer as the Odyssey's but sell for less. Just an added thought.

I have the Optima Yellow Top D34, no adapter plate was needed when installed (even though I was told I had to have one when purchased). It's been flawless so far, but I've read statements about some people that have experienced premature failure.

I will admit, I think I'll go DH Platinum next time...

I believe the Red Top is best as just a starting battery and the Yellow Top allows for some moderate deep cycling. I wanted a little of both.

Most of my friends who run Jeeps with winches, and only have one battery, run the Yellow Tops. I think a dual battery setup is ideal, but these guys don't seem to be bothered by it and several swear by the Yellow Top.

i don't think it matters. I 've had a yellow top as my one and only for the last 4 or 5 years. It's been drained down to nothing a few times, but always held a good charge after plugging it into a good household battery charger.

I saw it on 4x4parts.com...it is $16 for the adapter

I must be confusing the plastic spacer (or adapter) that came with my red top? Are you guys talking about a vehicle specific adapter?

i don't think it matters. I 've had a yellow top as my one and only for the last 4 or 5 years. It's been drained down to nothing a few times, but always held a good charge after plugging it into a good household battery charger.

Yeah, that's exactly what sold me...when my work friends (some of who have been "jeeping" for 30 years) said the exact same thing.

Want me to take a picture of the battery in place? I remember when I picked it up from Advance Auto the guy warned me that it wouldn't fit because I wouldn't be able to properly secure it. I think he said it was shorter that a stock/typical battery. I took it home and test fit it - it looked OK and didn't budge. Then I hooked up the cables. That was quite a while ago and it seems to be doing alright. :shrug:

I have a yellow top in my titan, the little autozone battery that was in my pathy when I got it just won't die. The best thing about the optima is not having to clean the terminals. I only open the hood on the titan to change the oil.

The yellow top is a cross between a cranking battery (red top) and a deep cycle battery (blue top). Yellow top would be the best choice when running a winch. I didn't know about the die hards when I bought the yellow top for the titan, optima didn't have a battery with as much cranking amps as the factory titan towing package battery. Lots of guys on clubtitan were using them without problems so I bought it and haven't had any troubles. I might get a die hard for the titan and put the yellow top in the pathy.

James

I believe the Red Top is best as just a starting battery and the Yellow Top allows for some moderate deep cycling. I wanted a little of both. ...

Red Top is a starting battery, It features higher CCA's but like all starting batteries it does not like complete drains. That being said, the spiral cell design with optima chemical compound (I can't remember whats different) means the optima red will not be on its way out the door after you kill it a few times. (most starting batteries will)

Yellow Top is a Deep cycle battery, Not moderate, full deep cycle. Deep cycles feature lower CCA ratings than same other batteries of the BCI group. But they do like repeated full drains, and typically are not as well adapted to constant charging like car applications (shortens their life not being able to drain) In the last 2 years optima has improved their deep cycles for use with constant charging applications so they last about as long as a starting battery.

Blue Top comes in two styles;

White/ light gray base- Deep Cycle, SAME AS THE YELLOW TOP! Internal construction, CCA, reseve capacity etc... all the same. The only difference is the case and terminals.

Black/ dark gray base- Stating / CCA, SAME AS THE RED TOP! Internal construction, CCA, reseve capacity etc... all the same. The only difference is the case and terminals.

Now I like the treated post terminals with wing nuts on the blue tops, and I like the color blue (yellow is ugly) and any place trying to sell a blue for anything above $10-15 more than a yellow under the pretense that its "better" or "higher CCA" are just plain scamming. Also Pathy's start fine with low CCA's so if you wanna run a deep cycle for your stereo, winch or simply because you forget to turn your lights off allot then go ahead and do so. :)

• Like 1

I have had a redtop for about 6 years, and I pulled it out of a used car(Xterra) that probably been installed over a year previous. It came with the spacer. It has yet to fail on me. I dont have a winch or extra lighting, but do have a sub amp, cb and aftermarket stereo. Works great. :my2cents: