Installing LE/SE Fenders on a chilkoot

4doordrift

Hey guys, I know that some of you have done this so im hoping you can shed some light. I just picked up the LE/SE fenders off of a junker R50(2002). Once i got home i noticed that the fenders have plastic tabs sticking out of them which press fit into the body. I do not want to drill holes in my fenders to put these on. I was going to mount them using the screws, and get some moulding tape to put on the tabs where i would cut the plastic thingys off. What have you guys done to get around this? and has it worked?

Any help is much appreciated!

Didn't say it was a GOOD one. wd21 flares are only held in by the screws in the fender lip, the top just sits flush against the fender. I think tape would just hold moisture causing some premature rot to start and just letting them hang in a wd21 style would let a LOT of crap get behind them. Honestly I would personally drill the holes, but just prep a lot and be patient, not forgetting to add fresh paint after drilling so there is no open bare metal.

I don't see why you couldn't use double sided tape in lieu of the plastic tabs. The plastic tabs broke as I pulled my flares off (prefer the bare look) but, had to put them back on due to the holes in my fenders. They do not fit snug with out them.

Hey, wann'a trade fenders? :lol:

Ps the body work I did is 100% smooth sanded to 800, just sketched to paint the whole body panel when the majority of the paint on it is still good. The KY0 color this pathfinder is is next to impossible to get and there are seven variations of KY0. So I don't want to risk it looking ******. Also I don't want to just spray like a patch, that would be to noticeable and I wouldnt be happy with it.

Why the fuss, do you plan to ever remove them? If you want to remove them later, why bother installing them to begin with? If you plan to leave them, what will drilling holes hurt it? :shrug:

If your truck came without the flares, don't bother putting them on. If your truck came with the flares, it's best to remove them. I leave my flares on because the fenders behind the flares are rusty and they hold my mudflaps.

well decided to say fskc it and just try spraying a patch with the paint i got made up. Turned out not too bad, so may not put on the flares after all, however i dont like how i lost 70$ buying the flares...

51c846fc.jpg

d2aec2a3.jpg

bd65c4f2.jpg

Not perfect but it'll do!

Feedback is welcome

just be sure you dont burn of the new paint lol really easy to do you could even wet sand with 2000 grit and buff it back make sure you use a sanding sponge if you wet sand it other wise you will put groves in the paint from your fingers pressing on the sand paper

Put some more coats of clear on it to get it up to the shine of the oem paint and then wait till it hardens (months like warehouserat said) and then wetsand/buff/polish/whatever.