Newest obsession

OldSlowReliable

So....this past week I've been working on my sister's kia optima (2004), needs new cv boots, and front brakes. Going to be about 200 out the door. anyways.... after I get this POS out of my garage, I want to make an offer on a sweet little 72 beetle that is literally at the end of my street. Its bright orange, has all the glass/interior and new wheels/tires, (not installed, owner wanted to clean it up properly but changed his mind for garage space) although it doesn't RUN. (the kicker!).

My mom actually pointed this opportunity out to me, and kinda wants it for her own dreams, however she wanted to offer $500 for a running car, I suppose she doesn't understand the whole "collectors item" which the seller did not cease mention when I went and looked at it, saying "I've had a few vw guys stop by and say I could get way more out of it", but previously saying "the asking price of 1200 is flexible". He claims it wants to start/run, but the points got rained on, and now need replacing, and he just doesn't want to deal with it. Sounds too good to be true.

anyways, talk me out of it!

and if you won't....

is offering 500, then maxing at 600 so lowball to only offend? I'd have another $200 to offer, but like I said, I had to replace my sister's brakes/cv's unexpectedly.

It really is a beauty, has a black rear valance deal, orange rust-free body, but perhaps I have some new-project goggles on, and not objective buyers lenses!

I personally like the old beetles, total basket POS = baja bug time, clean workable = dorky whitewall clad street putter. I always encourage a good classic project. :aok:

Offer low, he sais no go up a little in a day or so. Emphasize the work needed, try a little guilt trip.

My big thing, is that I don't think he's ever HAD it running, and without a drivable vehicle, there's no easy way to just test out the other parts, mainly suspension/drivetrain....

gotta get this kia out of my garage before that though!

I have fair experience with the air cooled VWs and I will warn you this; if it has been sitting for a long time, plan to clean/replace/rebuild the brakes and fuel system. As long as the body is in good shape, not much else matters other than engine and tranny and both can be had cheap. Most parts are cheap and there is HUGE aftermarket for the most mass produced vehicle ever... :aok:

www.cip1.com

B

I like it, because (similar to my motorcycles) I can take the engine out and work on it, with room to spare in my 1.5 car garage...not so much with a sbc 350 or even the pathy's 3.0... mostly due to the removal technique vs my lack of length in the garage...

Are 72's really that much of a collector car? I'm no huge VW guy (I'll take a oval, split, or 21 window bus!) but 500 seems more than fair for a non running Super Beetle.

Edited by Trogdor636

This seems a little off to me we use to buy bugs, for around 50-200 dollars most of them did not run but we had a VW bus engine we used in them and 2 sets of paddles the 4 and 5 bolt styles. we would go buy a bug drop the bus engine in Really easy like 4 Bolts and a throttle cable lol. Then we would take it out to the dunes being fallowed in another rig, get there throw the paddles on and have fun tell it was to gone to dring home then we would pull the engine and paddles and junk the rest.

Plus, if the fan belt breaks you can fix it with a rubber band!!

And I'm not sure that people notice, but the elder beattles are hot, but theres not really a set standard for pricing on them, theres nice ones that sell for 500 and there are ones that sell for 15,000.

Edited by nismothunder

Yea, those things DO have a cult following... like people who still throw HO dogs at the screen when watching Rocky Horror :shrug: "back in the day" pricing is great for fond memories but when a cavalier can be scrapped for weight and still get 2-3 hundred for it as basicly a shell, the 100 buck car days are sadly gone. (if only that time machine was perfected...)

I agree the older ones are hot as heck...something about beetles is just FUN..

anyways, the brakes/cvs job I've been doing on my sister's car has come to cost me $330 in parts, which would have gone to fixing up this beetle.....looks like a no go for me :(