Random Idle?

Kyle94

ive replaced a broken/disconnected vacuum line already. that brought the idle down a bit.

but now, it idles at 1k and varies from 1k to 1100. just up and down all the time between the two. ive wiggled some wires here and there. and have gotten no response. was wondering what else i could possibly check? Thanks.

Plugs, plugwires,dizzy,rotor, those 20s that make you look like the retarded off spring of Chevy Chase...

Intake gasket leak, Maf... being the retarded off spring of chevy chase?

Its called SEARCH, This has been covered before Kyle... And I know you have asked this too the others already and where probly given an answer.

Plugs, plugwires,dizzy,rotor, those 20s that make you look like the retarded off spring of Chevy Chase...

Intake gasket leak, Maf... being the retarded off spring of chevy chase?

Its called SEARCH, This has been covered before Kyle... And I know you have asked this too the others already and where probly given an answer.

ive messed with the wires. the 20's are GONE. rotor is brand new. as with wires and plugs from last owner. i played with the MAF wires. have not yet cleaned the MAF wire inside yet... the intake could be what im hearing as a kind of air leak... (ive searched for this leak with no turn outs...

ive messed with the wires. the 20's are GONE. rotor is brand new. as with wires and plugs from last owner. i played with the MAF wires. have not yet cleaned the MAF wire inside yet... the intake could be what im hearing as a kind of air leak... (ive searched for this leak with no turn outs...

Carb cleaner, wd40, or any solvent will tell you where the leak is.

The 20s maybe gone but you will be the retarded son of chevy chase forever, and ever and ever...

Edited by nismothunder

Carb cleaner, wd40, or any solvent will tell you where the leak is.

yeah? what will happen? engine suck in the stuff and idle change....? :)

yeah? what will happen? engine suck in the stuff and idle change....? :)

I will pray that you will be struck by lighten tonight, but yes, when it sucks the solvent in the idle will speed up until it burns off... We've been through this before.

I will pray that you will be struck by lighten tonight, but yes, when it sucks the solvent in the idle will speed up until it burns off... We've been through this before.

i honestly don't remember that... :unsure:

but ok. ill have to do that tomorrow if its nicer. i just pray to god that its not the damn intake plenum gasket... :(

Wait, its storming out? Thank you god!! Smite him now!!

If it is I will laugh and point from 3,000 miles away, ok.

ur an a$$. :D

now to find/ buy some spraying stuff....

Wow. Just wow.

Kyle, you can adjust the idle speed at the Idle Air Control Valve. You can see the adjustment screw if you stand on the left side of your engine bay and look right over the master cylinder. You have to disconnect the connector then start the engine. If you can bring it down, then there is no air leak. Also, check to make sure you throttle cables are no adjusted to tightly. This would cause the throttle valve to stay open slightly. The cables should have just a bit of slack. I would also double check with come carb cleaner for vacuum leaks, just to be on the safe side.

• 1 month later...

Wow. Just wow.

Kyle, you can adjust the idle speed at the Idle Air Control Valve. You can see the adjustment screw if you stand on the left side of your engine bay and look right over the master cylinder. You have to disconnect the connector then start the engine. If you can bring it down, then there is no air leak. Also, check to make sure you throttle cables are no adjusted to tightly. This would cause the throttle valve to stay open slightly. The cables should have just a bit of slack. I would also double check with come carb cleaner for vacuum leaks, just to be on the safe side.

Which connector? The one on the "tower" thingy?

the t/b plate could also have a little build up and not allow the throttle plate to close completely, kyle bring me $100 when you get it and ill spend the whole damn day showing and fixing your crap just so we dont have to go through this again, and second votes..........$100 for a whole day with a ase certified tech and get your crap fixed too....

Hi Kyle,

Does it wonder up and down at start or stay at the same place?

Does it go to a normal (750+/- rpm) idle after it idles for awhile or driving it for awhile? Does it only do this when it is cold start or everytime?

Does turning on the AC or turning the steering wheel bring the idle up or down?

I'm going to say you need to bring down the idle with the idle adjustment screw. I can take a picture of it if you would like.

Can you actually increase idle speed with the screw? My screw is fully open and it stays at 750, presumably determined by the ECU. If I close the screw I can drop the idle... but not the other way.

if by fully open, do you mean it's missing? Yes, the screw controls idle in either direction.

I just mean that my screw is turned such that there is no additional restriction inside the aac valve body. The screw is still there, just turned all the way in the "faster idle" direction.

I'm going to say you need to bring down the idle with the idle adjustment screw. I can take a picture of it if you would like.

That would be great if u could get a pic, dennis. Even going off Derrick's description of where it is, idk what I'm looking for. :D

the canister next to the air cleaner box has given me idle problems before.....I've heard these are common problems with this engine. i believe its called an evap canister. part of the emission system.

I found the screw.... though I had to turn it all the way in, to the right, decreasing... till it wouldn't go anymore.... is that bad?? It runs lower now. I can shift better. And I can notice the rough running more now. I forgot how quiet they run... I had to check the rpms to make sure it was still running when I went for a test drive!!! :D