Fuel gauge questions

My fuel gauge is not working properly.....it only goes to 3/4 when full......when I first got it a few months ago, it was sitting on E and I stopped to put fuel in it and it only took 10 gallons.......is there a fuel level sensor? Could it be that the fuel pump is about to go? Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

:shrug:

Mine does the same thing, its very common for pathfinders in our year. There is a voltage regulator on the back of your cluster that goes bad and gives a false reading(also does it to the temp gauge), you have to take the cluster off and replace it, or maybe the wires just need to be reconnected. A lot of people here have fixed it(I haven't yet)and they say its really easy and cheap(a trip to a radio-shack for parts).

here is the link to how to fix it, good luck!

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=27480

Mine does the same thing, its very common for pathfinders in our year. There is a voltage regulator on the back of your cluster that goes bad and gives a false reading(also does it to the temp gauge), you have to take the cluster off and replace it, or maybe the wires just need to be reconnected. A lot of people here have fixed it(I haven't yet)and they say its really easy and cheap(a trip to a radio-shack for parts).

here is the link to how to fix it, good luck!

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=27480

Thanks so much!!!!! I have just been going by mileage for the time being, and that works!!!!!!

I'm not sure that this is the same problem? My voltage regulator was dead and my fuel and temp gauges were stuck on zero. Replaced the regulator and still my fuel gauge only goes to 7/8 when full... I guess if your voltage regulator is messed up such that it is regulating at a lower voltage it could be the problem, but that seems somewhat unlikely to me. You can measure to find out...

I'm not sure that this is the same problem? My voltage regulator was dead and my fuel and temp gauges were stuck on zero. Replaced the regulator and still my fuel gauge only goes to 7/8 when full... I guess if your voltage regulator is messed up such that it is regulating at a lower voltage it could be the problem, but that seems somewhat unlikely to me. You can measure to find out...

so far, all other gauges seem to be working.....I read the post that you linked to.....waaaaaay over my head on the soldering and voltage checking.........will just run with mileage till it quits completely!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

I went to the nissan dealer and they said he knows the problem but said 93 to 95 dont have a voltage regulator, any one with a 93 and up have the problem and what did you replace. Thanks

• 5 weeks later...

I have the same problem on my 92. I did the voltage regulator fix and no change...Note that my temp gauge never was whacked out...I'm thinking sending unit but that is relatively expensive and I'll likely try to clean contacts and anything else I can find to try and fix what I have instead of dropping $$$ so the needle will read correctly instead of always being 1/4 tank low. Mine is very consistent so no real worries of running out of fuel...

Im thinking its a sending unit my z31 300zx has simular issues and was fixed with a new sending unit but likei said that was a 300zx not a pathfinder

If someone needs a new cluster let me know i have a 92 cluster and a 93 cluster and were from a junkyard (no clue if they work for sure I could try and test them in my 92 if need be.)

Edited by edicer2