Grinding While Switching between 4WD Modes

Lije

Hi all. I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.

When I switch from 4hi to N and down to 4lo, it is fine. However, once I go back into N I can't switch it anywhere without a horrible grinding. To get out of N and back to 2hi (to drive around) I have to turn the vehicle off while in Neutral (tranny).

I know the instructions in the manual and most of what I've read say that you just have to be in tranny neutral to shift 4wd modes, not neutral with the vehicle off...

This is my first 4wd vehicle so it might be that I'm doing something stupid but from the research I've done on the web (especially this forum) I really don't think I'm doing anything wrong..

Is this normal or is something screwed up?

when you are in Neutral is your foot on the brake? Do you have any momentum?

Try stopping in N on flat ground. Then ease in and out of the the brake while shifting to remove residual torque from the drive line.

Thats what I have to do on my 94 auto.

I'm sure its an auto thing cause I've never had issue on my 89

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with the 4 popper wheeler there, grind them till you find them, eh.

As far as being in neutral for extended peroids of time, folks they mean leaving it in neutral for a few days because they will become stuck in neutral, and the chance that your a complete moran and park on a hill and the thing rolls away even if the trannys in gear/park.

I'm with the 4 popper wheeler there, grind them till you find them, eh.

As far as being in neutral for extended peroids of time, folks they mean leaving it in neutral for a few days because they will become stuck in neutral, and the chance that your a complete moran and park on a hill and the thing rolls away even if the trannys in gear/park.

This is true it even explains it in the owners manual.