How Difficult Changing Front Wheel Bearings ?

DoctorBill

DoctorBill here....I'm baaaack.....I did the Timing Belt with Auto Cooler thread

about a year ago.

A mechanic told me my front wheel bearings are worn on both sides.

I was asking about the price to repack them when he said they'd need replacing.

177,000 on the vehicle. About $450 parts and labor.

Then the drive shaft boots are torn on both sides. About $600 to replace them with new.

I am thinking about having a go at that myself....this summer when the weather in nice.

Give me the brutal truth - is this a real bugger to do or not ? I am 68 and can't do much

physical w/o hurting all over.

If it involves needing to 'press' the bearings out and in, I'll let the mechanic do it all for $1,000.

Let me know.

DoctorBill

They aren't "that" bad. I did them myself and it took me about 2 hours. You basically just tap out the bearing races with a punch and then use the old race on top of the new one to tap it in with a hammer. Then you grease everything up and install according to the service manual. Don't forget to get new inner grease seals. They're about 10 dollars each (this was in Canada).

Howdy Bill, welcome back.

I think you should order the parts, pull the hubs/spindle/rotor and have a shop press them in and out. The rest you can handle on a warm afternoon with a brew and a cigar. ;)

B

• 3 weeks later...

When 'tapping' races in, always use a non ferrous soft alloy such aluminum or brass drift pin with a brass or non metalic dead blow hammer. No fear of scoring the races then...

B

Really, if you did your timing belt, you can do your own bearings. The bearings would have to be pretty bad if your mechanic thinks you need to replace them, and not just repack them. I would take them apart, clean them and inspect. If you do need bearings, most places have them(well, here they do). I did my front brakes adn wheel bearings not too long ago. It was the 2nd time I have repacked them. I had no heat marks or pitting. I did a writeup with pics, check it out.....

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=28120