Changed my fuel filter and need help!

laxman0324

So the filter change itself went fantastic, but the stupid little strap that holds it on has one of those typical 10mm rusted off bolts that Nissan loves to use. Since I couldn't fit a drill up there and did not want to grind around gas lines, I had to use tin snips and cut the rusted strap. So now I have what is pictured below. If I leave it like this it will move around a little and possibly over time come out of the strap. My only thought right now is to try and get a pair of hose clamps and try to clamp around either side of the strap, maybe diagonally. If anyone has a good idea let me know!

2011-02-26_21-23-45_322.jpg

rust already?

I live in a heavily salted area. And look at how rusty the strap is and how not rusty a lot of the surroundings are...It seems like Nissan used cheap materials in random places on the R50.

And you all think zip ties are better than hose clamps here?

big effin hose clamp style clamp like on Ford fuel filters(or whatever size hose clamp will easily fit around it, don't know how big r50 fuel filters are). Zip-ties will work, you DO have some in the truck, right?

The bolt on mine was rusted solid too but there was enough play that I was able to disconnect the one end and then slide it out. The new one came with some foam bits on the side and sliding it in wedged it good.

I'd say zapstraps as well. Alternatively I'm sure you can replace the entire mounting bracket. I don't remember how it's held on and due to the snow I don't want to climb under my truck. But if the bracket is just a bolt on part then go grab one from a scrapper.

I didn't even read adamzans post. If new clamps are just $10 I'd probably get one of those. Paint it with some por15 or other, cheaper rust paint before installation.

Thanks for all the help guys...I ended up wrapping one hose clamp around the filter and another hose clamp around the bracket to lock the filter down. It doesn't seem like it will move much but if the new bracket is cheap enough I will probably get it and replace it in the next couple months.