Intercoolers

the_dude84

G'day all, just wondering if anyone out there has any tips or advice to help my R3m from almost overheating... A 10 minute drive on a hot day and the temperature gauge is up to about 3/4. Is an inter-cooler the only answer as they can be expensive?

G'day all, just wondering if anyone out there has any tips or advice to help my R3m from almost overheating... A 10 minute drive on a hot day and the temperature gauge is up to about 3/4. Is an inter-cooler the only answer as they can be expensive?

Have you pulled the thermostat and checked if it is stuck?

I dont think a intercooler is going to help that much for that unless ur just flooring it in boost the whole time. I would check on if your getting coolant flow by seeing if the radaitor is good or if the thermostat is good. I would also even check and make sure your head gasket isnt going out.

Edited by edicer2

Yeah, intercooler wont help engine temps, just intake temps. Air flow is your friend for cooling, so best thing you could do is run an e-fan, flush your cooling system & then possibly get a bigger rad if all else fails. I'm adding a scoop to see if that might decrease temps under the hood, but they are notorious for running hot. Where abouts in Perth are you?

Yeah, intercooler wont help engine temps, just intake temps. Air flow is your friend for cooling, so best thing you could do is run an e-fan, flush your cooling system & then possibly get a bigger rad if all else fails. I'm adding a scoop to see if that might decrease temps under the hood, but they are notorious for running hot. Where abouts in Perth are you?

Up in Riverton. I think I bought a nudge bar off you via gumtree. It just seems to struggle on the warmer days and with the humidity at the moment(I got the the car mainly to hit the beach) . The cooling system is getting flushed this week. I was thinking a scoop might help at least more cool air would be moving around the engine bay.

im running 31x10.5x15 on my pathy and no issues whatsoever. also, good to see that the obvious cooling issues have been addressed already in the thread. i will add though, a standard viscous fan with the original cowl panel will be far more effective than changing to electric thermos, and a huge amount more reliable.

one thing that wasnt mentioned what is the condition of the radiator in? i only ask as my radiator is due for replacement as the fins are falling off (i know the condition of my radiator so i take it careful and dont cane the hell out of it)

im running 31x10.5x15 on my pathy and no issues whatsoever.

The TD27 cooling system wasnt designed for the Australian climate, they overheat very easily, everyone I know who has or has had a Terrano has complained about the running temps.

• 2 weeks later...

are the upper and lower radiator hoses in the same spot witha TD27 as a Z24? ifso, im looking into a close-to-bolt-in replacement for when the FJ20ET goes in mine. if i come across somthing that will provide better cooling efficiency, ill let you know.

I finally managed to take the new money pit for a run along Whitehills last weekend. It Impressed me. Went better then my Old Mans '03 Courier. Just wondering what type of fuel economy i should expect? Think it might be running rich. Only getting 450km a tank(hoping for 600+). I recently had the injector pump overhauled.$$$

I finally managed to take the new money pit for a run along Whitehills last weekend. It Impressed me. Went better then my Old Mans '03 Courier. Just wondering what type of fuel economy i should expect? Think it might be running rich. Only getting 450km a tank(hoping for 600+). I recently had the injector pump overhauled.$$$

Yeah, I get around 650 per tank, but I do a lot of highway miles. Beach work you will get a fair bit less than that, but cant remember since its been too long since I had mine on the beach. Did you get my email regarding the tyres?

Yeah, I get around 650 per tank, but I do a lot of highway miles. Beach work you will get a fair bit less than that, but cant remember since its been too long since I had mine on the beach. Did you get my email regarding the tyres?

yeah cheers i pick them up on tomorrow moring