exhaust opinion

mo3chang

so my stock muffler just flat out fell off my car and its time to replace it anyways because lets face it after 20 years and lots of rough driving it wasn't doing to well anyways.

so from what i've gathered 2.25 inches is the best diameter to use for the fabrication of a new exhaust and i was considered using a glass pack like this one ebay glass pack yay or nay?

or should i go for a longer one?

right now its just open after the catalytic converter i'm planning to get a set of headers there isn't much of an option for 2wd xe pathys

i live in cali and i know emissions are a PITA but i'm fairly confident they won't check the headers in a pathfinder

Some of us work bud, gotta give up more than a couple hours :aok: muffler is a decision of personal choice. Everyone got different taste in sound. As for headers, there are smog legal ones out there (I think thorly's are). Don't loose too much sleep over that situation.

Hey there, where in Cali are you? Reason I ask is that I have most of a stock exhaust system and know of a great exhaust/fab shop nearby.

Yes, 2.25 seems to be prefered, 2.0 is still an upgrade; I wouldn't go larger. I have Thorley headers, 2.25 pipe into a Magnaflow high flow cat and a Flowmaster Delta 60 muffler. It farts really well, but sounds a bit ricey at higher RPM. I'm hoping that will change when I get rid of my chrome exhaust tip...

2 or 4wd shouldn't matter for header fitment, but no, there aren't a lot of choices. Do not think that a decent smog tech won't notice the headers, they spotted and commented on mine instantly, but at least it was a compliment.

B

thanks for advise sorry for late reply i was at work

i live in in Norwak (norwalk

) yah i don't think my local test only smog tech cares to much because my civic i forgot to swap out the the headers back to the stock ones and it still passed and i had the piece o crap shiny ebay ones lol but that may be an isolated incident.

Baffle pack like a regular muffler with baffles ? i seached baffle pack on google and all i get is lighting assemblies

i have a decent muffler shop that said they would do the cat back job for me for $60 if i took my own cat and muffler or glasspack. and it would be $90 for a flowmaster knock off plus piping or $120 for there sketchy glass pack system

it seems that its cheaper if i procure one somewhere else

i figure i might as well buy a hiflow cat too on ebay too while i'm at it and keep my stock one for emmisions times

anyone else in cali always get the test only smog i've always got it since i've had the car in my name these past 6 years?

Hey there, where in Cali are you? Reason I ask is that I have most of a stock exhaust system and know of a great exhaust/fab shop nearby.

Yes, 2.25 seems to be prefered, 2.0 is still an upgrade; I wouldn't go larger. I have Thorley headers, 2.25 pipe into a Magnaflow high flow cat and a Flowmaster Delta 60 muffler. It farts really well, but sounds a bit ricey at higher RPM. I'm hoping that will change when I get rid of my chrome exhaust tip...

2 or 4wd shouldn't matter for header fitment, but no, there aren't a lot of choices. Do not think that a decent smog tech won't notice the headers, they spotted and commented on mine instantly, but at least it was a compliment.

B

Hey wheres that shop your know of. I've been to some of the local guys around me and .... ya .... they don't listen to well. :headwall:

Also Im in the middle of building up a vg33 is 2.25 still the best size for the exhaust?

Hey wheres that shop your know of. I've been to some of the local guys around me and .... ya .... they don't listen to well. :headwall:

Also Im in the middle of building up a vg33 is 2.25 still the best size for the exhaust?

The shop is Major Muffler on Dutton Ave in NW Santa Rosa. Older guy owns it, works on custom hot rods all day, not just mufflers either. Great guy and one of his sons works there (cut and lifted my ARB bumper to mount with a 2" lift), the other one owns Pro Crane if you need any serious sheit lifted...

As for the pipe size, look at it this way.

1.75" diameter = 2.4 square inches cross section (stock IIRC)

2.00" diameter = 3.1 square inches cross section, 29% increase

2.25" diameter = 4.0 square inches cross section, 67% increase

2.50" diameter = 4.9 square inches cross section, 104% increase

2" is probably fine, with 2.25" overkill?? This comes down to opinion, but I use math.

For a VG33 with 10% more displacement, 2.25" with 67% greater area seems fine to me...

I am not a career exhaust tuner though. :shrug:

B

The shop is Major Muffler on Dutton Ave in NW Santa Rosa. Older guy owns it, works on custom hot rods all day, not just mufflers either. Great guy and one of his sons works there (cut and lifted my ARB bumper to mount with a 2" lift), the other one owns Pro Crane if you need any serious sheit lifted...

As for the pipe size, look at it this way.

1.75" diameter = 2.4 square inches cross section (stock IIRC)

2.00" diameter = 3.1 square inches cross section, 29% increase

2.25" diameter = 4.0 square inches cross section, 67% increase

2.50" diameter = 4.9 square inches cross section, 104% increase

2" is probably fine, with 2.25" overkill?? This comes down to opinion, but I use math.

For a VG33 with 10% more displacement, 2.25" with 67% greater area seems fine to me...

I am not a career exhaust tuner though. :shrug:

B

Seems reasonable enough to me. Which is a good thing cause I just realized the thorley headers that I was going to put on there are 2.25". So its not like I have a whole lot of choice. :laugh:

The tailpipe fell off the day after I bought my 'finder!

So, I am following this thread with interest 'cause I'm going to have to replace my whole system in the spring.

Keep us posted with what you end up doing, ok?

Seems reasonable enough to me. Which is a good thing cause I just realized the thorley headers that I was going to put on there are 2.25". So its not like I have a whole lot of choice. :laugh:

True, but I had to neck down to 2.0" for the CARB legal cat. I went back to 2.25" diameter after that, but I suspect 2.0 would have been fine also.

B

i'm sticking to 2.25 i just picked up my cherry bomb 2.25in/out glass pack for $22.50 and i'm off to the shop to get it all put on this weekend and i also read that too that the doug thornley headers were 2.25 so that just added on to my decision.

this just popped in my head and i just want a confirmation when i slap on my body lift i will have to adjust the hangers on the exhaust correct?

The tailpipe fell off the day after I bought my 'finder!

So, I am following this thread with interest 'cause I'm going to have to replace my whole system in the spring.

did your pipe fall off during normal driving ?

My muffler was loose and by loose i mean the welding around the piping had deteriorated and it was looking pretty sad too but i decided to to jump a 1.5ft curb going 50 and my muffler just fell off then later i was showing off near a storm drain which is nicknamed "the Big ass dip" where i've caught up to 4 feet of air before and the rest of exhaust fell off i felt like such a newb lol

when u get the cherry bomb on let me know how much louder it is over stock mass is hardcore on vehicle noise and was looking it it but didnt wanna risk getting pulled over by the cops for it

when u get the cherry bomb on let me know how much louder it is over stock mass is hardcore on vehicle noise and was looking it it but didnt wanna risk getting pulled over by the cops for it

If you want something that sounds good but isn't too loud, I got a walker stainless steel muffler. It's only a bit louder than the stock one and it has lifetime warranty.

here is the deal on this

you can use a parts store 2.00 system after the thorley headers

if you buy 2.25 components then you will need a muffler shop to fab up a custom exhaust with flanges, hangers, etc

2.00 and 2.25 have no difference in power either