Why did my odometer start working again?

zack1978

Hi everyone,

About three years ago the odometer and trip odometer simply stopped working on my 1995 SE-V6 Pathfinder 5spd. I have driven the truck without a working odometer since then...Well last week the trip and regular odometer started working again! Nothing was fixed or changed, like magic, they just started working again. Any ideas? What controls the odometer on my 95?

Thanks,

Zack

The gods have looked favorably upon your pathfinder! Haha but really the odometer I believe is driven off the speedo cable. Did your speedometer not work to, or just the odometer?

The speedometer has always worked...The tach has been bad for years however...

The ODO is wonky like that. I recently fixed my speedo after years of driving with a broken speed sensor.

The speedometer kicked on as soon as the sensor was installed, but the ODO took a little over a day before it kicked on.

The way I look at it, that's a just few more miles that don't count. I only have 104k on my 95. That's above average! ;)

I don't know if the 96 have the same flex circuit board back as the 94-95s, but my initial guess would be a faulty ground, something the 94-95 can suffer from.

B

You can try to rationalize it all you want, but I prefer the gremlins theory.

G

I don't know if the 96 have the same flex circuit board back as the 94-95s, but my initial guess would be a faulty ground, something the 94-95 can suffer from.

B

I am sure this is not far off, as I have a strange check engine light issue....You can read my other threads about that...

Zack

The magic wizard that lives in the dash un-broke your odometer, he will shine other electrcal gremlins on you though... Prepar to need a headlight switch!

DAMM DAMM DAMM!!! Well you were correct!! This evening while driving home with a half tank of gas, the low gas light on the dash started to faintly lite up. I stopped and filled the gas tank, and the light is still on. The light is very dim, however at times it will get bright for a few seconds, then get dim again. Where do I start to track this one down? The gas gauge works fine.

Thanks,

Zack

• 4 weeks later...

There is a motor that drives the speedometer (and trip meter). I purchased a Pathfinder with the odometer not working. I went to a junkyard and removed the motor from another Pathfinder, popped into my speedometer housing and off she went. I would say that motor is potentially getting flaky.