salvaged titile or not

Channel595

Salvage title could be a thieft recovery, flood car, formerly abandoned, etc. Not always a total from a wreck. The resale value lacks horribly on a salvage cert. But can be partially gained once a "r" title (reconstructed) is acquired out of the salvage cert. Salvage cert aint streetable/plateable/inspectable here though. Going by PA specs here...

On a side note, depends on the car if I would bother tryin to make it street worthy again.

Salvage title could be a thieft recovery, flood car, formerly abandoned, etc. Not always a total from a wreck. The resale value lacks horribly on a salvage cert. But can be partially gained once a "r" title (reconstructed) is acquired out of the salvage cert. Salvage cert aint streetable/plateable/inspectable here though. Going by PA specs here...

On a side note, depends on the car if I would bother tryin to make it street worthy again.

Very true. There could be many reasons for being put on a salvage title.

Pros: I've seen where people have picked up a vehicle on a salvage title, even being wrecked, for pennies on the dollar and with some know how or connections, put it back to like new condition and still be way under what it would cost to buy it otherwise. You can build it and put it back the way you want.

Cons: If you are not mechanically inclined or know someone who is, then it could turn into a nightmare. Depending on the state(s) involved it can be a difficult process to get a clear title. Resale value will always suffer. I know I would not buy something that had previously been on a salvage title unless I knew who fixed it and I trusted them.

As said above, it depends on what happened to the vehicle.

invest in a carfax report if you're really interested in it, and find out what was damaged.

Definatly get the vehicle inspected by an independent mechanic.

Yea, Salvage means a lot of things as stated above.

My brother has a ranger with a reconstructed title, only because it has a new engine. The ex-owners slipped it in gear before pulling it behind their motorhome and destroyed the motor. So look into it.

Only uy a salvaged titled car if you know why it as titled as such.

My friend recently bought a salvaged titled volvo wagon. It was an '88 240 with 120k, but salvage title because the rear window was broken and replaced recently.

MrJims truck is salvaged, you can read the story about it from the link on the NPORA Home Page under "Saving an Icon" above the pic of his truck near the bottom of the main page.

I was in an accident at the end of November, had a guy decide that he was not going to wait for me to pass before making his left turn across my lane and we met nose to nose, actually he simply did not see me until it was to late. And the bulk of the damage was to my ARB and RH fender, there were several other minor damages, but they add up quick, all of which are easily repaired at home. Total damages = Total Loss. But I was able to work with one of the insurance company's involved to come to a mutually agreeable dollar figure. And one that prevented a salvage title from being issued.

So in my trucks case, it was primarily a being deemed a total loss over a bent bumper and fender, but the shops/adjusters had to figure all perceived damages (from the accident ) into the estimate. Had it gone through then it would have been an easily repaired salvage.

The main reason I fought it is because it would have effected my insurance (coverages lowered, respective rates raised)

I bought a salvage title once, still got the car but it needs a new dohc 1.9 and 5 speed in it. Now this wasnt a result of damage but a factory defect why it needs a new engine.

Mine was smashed in the front left and and right side(right side from the broken glass in the door panels, the bumper was bent in front) It was a low milage(for the year) 140k car and it drove just fine other then a terriable squeak from the front brakes. It had No subframe damage.

Just do a good look over and make sure it wasnt a flood car.

I would buy a salvaged title car no problem as long as the body work was done correctly and everything checks out as good as it was before the accident. My Pathfinder HAD a salvaged title, then was cleared by the Washington State Patrol - because it was fixed so well you CANNOT tell unless you remove the rear interior panels on the passenger side.

Some places do honest work, and do it right. Other places will do it quick and only cover it up leaving the evidence everywhere. That's what makes the difference.

The only real problem with a salvaged car no matter what condition is insurance companies don't give you jack for it if something happens to it later on.