Full Size Spare?

I'm needing to replace my spare, it's the original and is showing it. My best friend's day runs a tire shop and was recommending getting a full-size spare (31in) instead of the original small one. So my question is will the stock tire carrier hold a 31in tire mounted on a lego rim without any problems?

Yes outside and yes inside, I've had a 31 with tread on a Lego mounted inside along with a 32 fairly thin on tread inside on both a Lego and an aftermarket 15x8. As for the outside carrier, I have had a Lego back there with a 31 and currently have a Toyota painted steelie with a 31 on it mounted on it.

Okay so size-wize it'll hold it, but the added weight won't cause the body to crack because of stress? I know the tire carrier (outside) on mines seems to be real beefy, I guess I'm just paranoid from all the horror stories I heard about other Jeeps back when I had my Cj5.

Okay so size-wize it'll hold it, but the added weight won't cause the body to crack because of stress? I know the tire carrier (outside) on mines seems to be real beefy, I guess I'm just paranoid from all the horror stories I heard about other Jeeps back when I had my Cj5.

People put 33s, 35s, and larger on that carrier....nothing to worry about. My 33x1250 has posed no issues

If I'm not mistaken, the cj5's and such had the tire bolted to the tailgate's sheetmetal, ours are on a tire carrier that is supported very well behind the sheetmetal, much less a strong section of steel on the rear pillar

Edited by OldSlowReliable

let me be one to verify the internal supports are fairly decent for the external mount spare rack... these babys aint just bolted to the body, I think a couple people have other stuff tied to their rack WITH fullsize spares on em (Hi-Lifts, cans, etc...)

I concour times 10.

The carrier can hold the weight....it can hold a lot of weight!

Only thing you might come up against is if you have a spare tire cover, it will not fit, there were two different sizes used, for the 31s and the 215s

Edited by Alkorahil

• 1 month later...