tire widths on stock rims

bagndrag

the widest tire you could run or the widest tire RECOMMENDED to run on the OEM width wheel would be 2 different things, I would say (and others will disagree I'm sure) on a stock 6.5" wide steel wheel probably a 30/9.50/15, the OEM 7" wide wheels came with 31/10.50/15's

I got some 31x10.5R15s randomly mounted on stock painted steelies... Youll be fine running 31s on em, I think most members WITH steelies run em... People runnin legos sometimes squeeze bigger

I've know people who ran 33x12.5 just fine on the stock chrome wheels. :shrug:

that's why I mentioned about recommended vs the widest tire, people tend to do strange things, I wouldn't be running a 39/17.50 Mickey Thompson tire on a 8" wide wheel but I'm sure someone would, back in the day we used to mount 18/44/16.5 tires on 9.75" wide wheels because that was about the largest width commonly available, did it work? yes would the tire have been better on a wider wheel? of course. the problem as we know in putting a really wide tire on a narrow wheel is how it pulls the sidewalls in and makes the tread not really sit flat. The opposite is also true, running say a 31/10.50 on a 12" wide wheel where the sidewall is so far out it's just begging to be punctured by something.

Edited by ahardb0dy

...if running at max pressure. Lowering the psi will level the tread out, but to do it right you actually have to do some footwork using a method such as the chalk line test, not just settign them by a number on a sticker. Each tire/wheel combo is gonna differ, you have to actually do it yourself to find YOUR correct pressure setting for even tire wear

BFG has a nice 32x11.5 tire. It is the KM2 M/T. I have the 33 inch version, but i think you would be hard pressed to get that on your rig unless you have a lift of some sort. Not sure though you could always try if not I wouldn't go wider than 11.5. I have 10.5 wide 33's. You really don't need much more especially on the small axles we have. Your just losing power on those big wide tires...power that could be transferred to forward motion if you catch my drift.

that's why I mentioned about recommended vs the widest tire, people tend to do strange things, I wouldn't be running a 39/17.50 Mickey Thompson tire on a 8" wide wheel but I'm sure someone would, back in the day we used to mount 18/44/16.5 tires on 9.75" wide wheels because that was about the largest width commonly available, did it work? yes would the tire have been better on a wider wheel? of course. the problem as we know in putting a really wide tire on a narrow wheel is how it pulls the sidewalls in and makes the tread not really sit flat. The opposite is also true, running say a 31/10.50 on a 12" wide wheel where the sidewall is so far out it's just begging to be punctured by something.

Oddly enough, this is a VERY popular style with low-pro tires on bmw coupes and such (tire being too narrow for wheel)

Edited by OldSlowReliable

wheel spacers will mainly CHANGE how it rubs....with my 33's, I need only worry about rubbing on the frame (actually cut up the side lugs on my tires doing that lol) but if I were to put wheel spacers on, sure it wouldn't rub on the frame (which is just a matter of adjusting the turn stops), but it would most likely hit the fenders alot more..

Considering 31x1050 were a factory option (just differently adjusted turn stops mind you) I don't think you will have an issue, as long as you remember to properly adjust the turn stops, and get a wheel with around 4" of bs

may sound like another dumb question but dont the stock steel rims have 4ins of back spacing i did a quick search on google and couldnt find any answers. if noone knows i can just drive to where my pathy is sitting tommarow and figure it out

may sound like another dumb question but dont the stock steel rims have 4ins of back spacing i did a quick search on google and couldnt find any answers. if noone knows i can just drive to where my pathy is sitting tommarow and figure it out

Pretty sure my chromies had 4" bs, and I know my new 15x8's are 4" bs

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I want to make sure of what I'm hearing here, so please forgive me if I seem a bit pedantic in my questions. I'd rather not spend the money on tires that I can't use or won't fit well! (and, yeah, I've searched, but haven't come up with anything that directly addresses my questions)

My 1988 has 3 15x6 rims and one 15x5.5. (don't ask, I picked it up cheap off craigslist, and it's a bit of a basketcase. One mis-matched rim has been the least of the weird issues the thing has had) I have been scrounging the local junk yards for two more 15x6 wheels in the same style (yeah, 5 rims, so I can have a spare). I've run across two different styles of steel rims, both styles appear to be 15x6 (but one style is available in 15x5.5, but it's not chrome, it's just grey paint, but I digress).

Assuming I can find the right style of rim (so they match, got to keep up appearances!) of 15x6 inch steel wheel, will 31x10.5 tires fit on that, or am I better off not running such a wide tire, like a 30x9.5 or the 235/75s that came with it when I got it? I have to admit that I'd like to get a bigger tire if possible (the 31s) because it would simply fill out the wheel wells better, appearance wise, but if I'm just asking for trouble and annoyance in trying to make that work, I'd rather not and will just go with the biggest tires that will not be a hassle. If that's the 30x9.5s, awesome, if I'm really better off just sticking with the 235/75s, so be it. I'm just looking for some definite information on what will comfortably fit on the 15x6 inch wheels I have and not cause me problems. The beast isn't lifted (that I've seen any sign of) and I'm not interested in lifting it either. Thanks in advance to any who reply!

I know the vehicle can handle it, I'm wondering about a 10.5 inch wide tire on a 6 inch wide rim. The tirerack lists the recommended wheel width for a 31x10.5x15 tire at 7 to 9 inches. Is that just a recommendation? Or will putting a 31x10.5x15 on a 6 inch wide rim result in a tires whose tread doesn't lay flat, a tire that tries to come off the rim all the time? It's not the vehicle it's the wheels that I'm wondering about!