Got (upper) links?

Mr. Pickles

So I spent Sat. morning at the junkyard. Budget in Auburn, WA, good guys from what I've seen, this was my first time. They only had 2 WD21's, both though pretty clean and nice, it looked like they both arrived due to croaked engines. I was after rear suspension links, as my locker has killed mine over the last 4 years or so. Driving was getting pretty ridiculous, super sloppy, nobody wanted to drive the thing other than me, which is probably a good thing. ;) I went for all 4 - 2 upper, 2 lower, but the lower's just wouldn't budge, no leverage. Plus, I was laying in a puddle in a pull-it yard in January, then it started raining again. So be it. $25 for the 2 plus some random bushings and such, then I pulled the trigger on a random 32" Maxis Bighorn for a spare, mounted for $45. Not exactly a golden pot under the rainbow, but I'll call it a day. I've been driving/wheeling with a *bald* 31" spare for almost 2 years while running 32x11.5/15's, and really needed it, and the rig REALLY need the new links, especially the upper 2, as the vid's will show.

After working on some other stuff, then up till 3am with this crap, I must say a good Sat. indeed. :coffee!:

th_MOV00565.jpg

th_MOV00566.jpg

Edited by Mr. Pickles

I dated a girl with that much slop before. I ended up trading her in for a better model. :new576:

Glad to see you got on top of that. That looked like it must have been fun to drive.... if you're into bull riding.

• Like 1

I dated a girl with that much slop before. I ended up trading her in for a better model. :new576:

Glad to see you got on top of that. That looked like it must have been fun to drive.... if you're into bull riding.

Was she covered in grease too ? LOL i don't know if I'd admit to "dating" anything with that much slop...especially on a public forum !

Edited by krmiller07

REALLY needed is an understatement! :lol:

Get them all in and good?

Did you replace the bushings with new or just swap them on as is?

I swapped in the replacement ones direct and saved the ones for rebuild in case I don't get around to the rugged rocks ones. Waiting now for the swaybar kit in the mail. Fun

Since I just received my bushings, I'm wondering how big a deal replacing these is? Did you have to put your rig on a lift so the suspension was at 'rest' or do you just crawl under it and remove and replace the bolts? I'm going to opt for replacing the bushings in the stock trailing arms. I'm guessing these will give me a pretty good fight getting them out due to 20 + years of use and abuse. I'm going to try and press them out using a 30 ton press, but the techs at the local dealer have told me they usually just replace the whole trailing arm.I would imagine this is faster, but not cheaper!

Any feedback?

Thanks,

Keith

yeah it was pretty sloppy but drivable. I rebuilt much of the much front suspension last year so the thing drives like a new rig. I am glad the rear is swapped out now. Just got the swaybar kit today so that will wrap the project for now.

Holy crap. Glad I replaced all 4 of mine with the poly ones. It made a pretty big difference.

How was it to replace with the poly ones? Don't they make a two piece poly bushing that you just press in from each side? I've heard the poly bushings make the rear tighter than the stock bushings, this could be a good thing as long as they last.

James

Since I just received my bushings, I'm wondering how big a deal replacing these is? Did you have to put your rig on a lift so the suspension was at 'rest' or do you just crawl under it and remove and replace the bolts? I'm going to opt for replacing the bushings in the stock trailing arms. I'm guessing these will give me a pretty good fight getting them out due to 20 + years of use and abuse. I'm going to try and press them out using a 30 ton press, but the techs at the local dealer have told me they usually just replace the whole trailing arm.I would imagine this is faster, but not cheaper!

Any feedback?

Thanks,

Keith

I'm not sure about the job of replacing the bushings, as I just put in the new-to-me (used) arms with existing bushings. I've heard replacing them could be rough. Some people swear by drilling out the old rubber, other say to burn them/press/etc. It doesn't sound easy which ever way you choose, just do it. I checked bushing prices online, usually around $40-50 per bushing, to $50 per arm, depending on the source. Then you have to think about price to press/remove, if you can't do so on your own. Nissan quoted in the $40's per bushing, 2 per arm/link, but well over $200/arm with bushings installed. Sorry, but for that, I'll go with the stop-gap junkyard solution for now, and hope to move up to the RuggedRocks arms if time and price permit.