Rusty Exhaust

Black2003SE

rusted exhaust

I've got a rear exhaust that has become detatched from the muffler assembly. Worse, it looks like the muffler assembly might have a couple holes in it. The resonators have a patch on them already. I taken pictures of the whole system. They are available on the link above. Does anyone have experience with replacing this system? Does anyone make parts that don't rust for these?

Edited by Black2003SE

If you go OEM, this rust problem with keep coming back. Your best bet would be to go with something aftermarket (i.e., stainless steel) which is resistant to corrosion. Salt really does a number on these trucks. Living in the salt belt sucks... :thumbsdown:

I replaced mine. Bought it through NAPA which was a easy bolt on with no welding needed. Was pretty easy and straight forward: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=25920&view=findpost&p=528542

Go under there with a reciprocating saw and cut it apart to make things easier to remove.

Worst part is removing the studs from the cat's. Mine were rusted solid and I needed to heat them up until they melted off. Looks like you will have to do the same. I didn't replace the cat's as mine were in good shape.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sheet metal tape is your friend if you dont want to do a full redo. Spraying your new stuff with rust check spraypaint helps alot to if its not stainless steal. Especially on the bolts and seams as those are were most leaks start.

Well, I guess I'm a little late on this one but I would have kept it. That is a very common spot for it to rust through since the water collects in that flange. I can't really tell from the pictures but these mufflers come with a heat shield that rusts apart but usually leaves the muffler in tact.

Either way if anyone ends up here with the same problem all you need to do is cut the flange off and use a section of new exhaust pipe (~$5) cut it to size and slip it over the two ends. Then you just put a clamp on either end and call it a day. I fixed mine for $10 and it's never given me a problem since.

Edited by MrT