Biggest Size Tire in Spare Location

01silvapathy

I got two new (used) AT's to replace my worn front tires and I was wanting to know if I could change the stock size spare 28in od with one of the old worn front tires 31in od. My question is will it fit up there. I know this has been covered before and I searched for it but nothing came up. I just dont want to take off the old tire and mount the fullsize spare to find out its too big to fit up. I wonder if the chain is even strong enough too support the extra weight? Any help would be great!

Replacement tires are the same size 285 75 16's

011-11.jpg

New

018-8.jpg

019-7.jpg

Im going to guess that it hit the panhard rod? If so that should not be an issue for me caus the bar is dropped down 4in so it might fit.

I don't remember. I started reeling it up, and it caught on something, along with the trailer hitch. It wasn't even close though: not going to happen.

I threw it in the trunk for now.

Ill be able to give yall a definite answer tomorrow. I got it mounted last night and drove to school at 7am this morning with it in the back. Drove back like this cause I had all my stuff in the back :itsallgood:

017-10.jpg

Edited by 01silvapathy

A couple months ago I mounted a "full size" spare (285/75/16), but it's worn down to about 32.5"). I've been keeping it in my cargo area for now (ratchet strapped down just in case).

Any ways, I've been meaning to try the stock location but never got around to it - kind of figured it's way too big so why try. I realize you're going to test fit soon, but you've made me think I should finally just see how close (or not) it is to fitting. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Edited by Rick13

From the looks of it there are two brackets that keep the stock spare from either moving or to help guide it up into location. The two rubber blocks on the bottom help seat the rim to the body of the vehicle. So im going to try and take off those two brackets which are only attached by two bolts and then see if It fits up there. I also have a panhard drop which may help me out a tad bit. I think my 31 might just BARELY fit but I should know by noon tomorrow :shiftyeyes:

So I tried this afternoon to get the tire up there...the issue is that the tire hits the body where the panhard comes down. My spare is just over a 31 so yea dont think your spare will fit, Rick. So I just took out the stock chain hoist thingy since its ugly and got rid of it.

Old

024-7.jpg

Chain hoist delete mod

025-6.jpg

Rockin the back like this til I build a bumper

026-5.jpg

bumpers easy too make, but you need to chose your mounts carefully. the stock bumper mount is not nearly strong enough to hold the bumpers weight, but i put 2 blocks between it and the hitch for added support, since i dont have the ability right now to built a hitch into the bumper itself.