Another 4x4 engagement thread

Tungsten

My truck has the auto hubs and it has this weird problem where it can no longer shift from 2HI to 4HI while driving under 25 mph. If I attempt to do that, there is a grinding sound so I don't do it. However, if I stop and put it into P or N, I can shift from 2HI to 4HI. Then if I put it in D and drive forward to lock the hubs, the 4x4 does work. Once the hubs have been locked, everything works again, I can shift between 2H and 4H on the fly under 25 mph unless I leave it in 2H and reverse, which unlocks the hubs.

The transfer case seems to work good and it has fresh oil. The only problem I can see is something with the automatic hubs or something else in those spots. :scratchhead:

Edited by Tungsten

Personally, I always stop when shifting to, from or in 4wd but I know some people report it is unnecessary.

Take your hubs off, apart, clean everything, make sure nothing is damaged, lightly grease everything, reassemble and test drive.

B

I also, do not recommend shifting from 2Hi to 4Hi and vice versa while on the move. I do not believe the Pathies are designed that way.

BTW, always select N when shifting the transfer case, not P.

Edited by kiwipete

I also, do not recommend shifting from 2Hi to 4Hi and vice versa while on the move. I do not believe the Pathies are designed that way.

BTW, always select N when shifting the transfer case, not P.

Adding to the subtopic^

I have to put it in park when passing neutral (aka from 4hi to 4low) otherwise it grinds gears and such or whatever...I only put it INTO 4hi under 10mph, but if the need is urgent enough, i'll take it out while going faster... but carefully at that..

Hypothetically, (I'm not sure this can even happen) but maybe you are either missing, or sliding PAST 4hi(as in not a user error, like the transfer case is wearing out?), and running into neutral? sounds like what it would do if you were trying to go from N to 4hi or 4lo

Edited by OldSlowReliable

Mine has never shifted into 4hi when it was moving, it would grind and scream at me, my farther on the other hand would ram it in at 50+ and let it grind away. It can be in gear if you want to engage it, you just cant be moving and you need to back up to disengage it or do some insane swerving otherwise the hubs will stay locked for a while (for me it was 10 miles)

I can shift while moving with no grinding whatsoever. The only time it used to grind was when I hadn't changed the tcase oil and the tires were slipping a tiny bit.

Although I stop most of the time, there are times were I'm on the road and can't stop because of people behind me on inclines.

Edited by adamzan

No, you (r50s) have drive flanges that constantly spin the CVs and WD21's have autolocking hubs that engage once 4wd has been selected. You can shift on the fly no problem and also get 1-2 mpg less for the privilege...

B

If you have manual locking hubs, that are locked, you can switch into 4HI at any time when the vehicle is moving. If they are unlocked, common sense would tell you that the CVs and front differential gears are spinning at different speeds (aka, the CVs aren't spinning) as the transfer case gears. It can easily be done without stopping the vehicle with auto hubs... I did it all the time. Rarely would it ever yell at me if I shifted firmly and quickly.

You can, it's usually a little fussier about it because the front differential gears need to suddenly start spinning at the speed of the transfer case. With my manual Hardbody hubs the changeover is silk. It's definitely doable with the autos, but it's normally makes some concerning sounds.

I have my stock drive flanges out of my 97 if someone is willing to pay shipping. They work just fine and shifted from 2wd to 4wd up to 50mph no problem. I just put on some Mile Marker hubs to help with gas.

James

The only time I have ever had to stop to shift my transfer case is when going from 4HI to 4LO. I have done a shift on the fly at 35 miles an hour with no problems or weird noises, there was slight resistance on the TC lever though.

We're getting a good amount of snow right now and the roads are pretty greasy. I dropped it into 4hi at 30km/h with absolutely no noise except for the thunk of the front drive line catching up to speed.

• 4 weeks later...

there you go

something weird happened and now i can drop mine into 4hi too but at very slow speeds like 5mph it will engage

if the hubs are locked though it's not a big deal i can switch back and forth at any speed