What would cause my temp gauge to read improper?

WOT

I put away my summer car since we had our first big snowfall here in Ontario last night. And pulled the R50 into daily duties.

I noticed today when I started it up though, that my coolant temp gauge, jumped instantly to the middle, like where normal operating temp would be, even though its minus 10 out and the car had been sitting all week.

I was thinking maybe the coolant temp sensor may be faulty or even the gauge in the cluster?

As I drove to the store, the temp gauge spiked to hot. My rad level seems fine and Im quite sure the reading is wrong based on it going to half mass on a cold start. Im debating adding an aftermarket gauge to the upper hose to verify and keep a check on it though.

She had a hell of a time cranking over in the weather to so I put my battery on a charger :(

I just cracked 100k miles, Im hoping sitting this summer out didnt turn my Qx4 into a problem child

Thanks guys!!

mine had been acting up, and had a cel code come up for the engine coolant temp sensor. i replaced both my sensor and sender, about 30 bucks total, no problems since.

one thing to note, if the sensor goes bad, it screws with your emissions.

if the sender goes bad, your gauge goes wonky.

nope my temp gauge reads normally. sometimes mine acts funny when its got up to temp, i parked it for short while (25min) then go to fire it back up. It cranks real hard and eventually starts, it sounds like its choking to get started though. well i dont want thread jack you so hopefully someone else can help.

did it only start hard on that first start after sitting all summer???

Oh really theres a code for these problems?? The only code Im throwing currently is for the maxima maf that I recently put in.

Do you happen to have the part number for the sendor you bought??

Im slightly annoyed with my girlfriend pointing out that my gauge is spiking everytime she gets in the car

Im slightly annoyed with my girlfriend pointing out that my gauge is spiking everytime she gets in the car

Get a new girlfriend. Problem solved ;)

Sorry, never had the problem. If all else fails, call the local Nissan service place and ask. When I ask they usually have no problem recommending what to do. Though the first recommendation is always to bring it to them to look, but I just make up an excuse like it is my only vehicle and can't bring it in for a while for them to look at it.

nope my temp gauge reads normally. sometimes mine acts funny when its got up to temp, i parked it for short while (25min) then go to fire it back up. It cranks real hard and eventually starts, it sounds like its choking to get started though. well i dont want thread jack you so hopefully someone else can help.

did it only start hard on that first start after sitting all summer???

It did it last night aswell. Cranks for 2-3 seconds, not nice steady cranks either, choking like you said. First I thought it could be fuel related, but I have a fuel pressure gauge, and Ive got 40+ at idle, and my intake and filter are new... Im hoping it isnt an ongoing problem, but Id like to fix the gauge atleast

Get a new girlfriend. Problem solved ;)

HA! This ones a keeper, shes just got an opinion on everything :crazy:

Ofcourse they email me saying they cant ship to canada :(

ANyone got a good source for buying oem parts in canada??

I'll call the dealership but I expect alot higher quote

ya rock auto wanted some crazy shipping costs

Ive been working 12 hour days, hoping to give NIssan thats 30 min away a call, and maybe napa just to get a price difference.

Im assuming changing this sensor is going to pee coolant everywhere right??

And I just did a coolant flush :(

Aparently this sensor being faulty could be a cause of my poor start conditions and full throttle performance as the ecu thinks Im overheating with the current sensor, any truth to that??