Going to Russia

MrJim

So, my niece "Krissy" has been a huge inspiration to me in the many selfless things she does all the time and she goes on mission work with her church to other countries from time to time. She went to Haiti twice last year to help them rebuild.

She inspired me to get a passport and start checking into this at my own church in Washington. (she lives in Georgia). I found out today that I have been officially accepted to be part of a team that is going to Tobolsk, Russia (Siberia) to help build a rehab center in the mission there. It will be for 2 weeks and is supposed to be pretty cold there. They were telling me how they often have to set fires to burn for awhile before they can dig into the ground because its so frozen. Yikes... I just checked and it's -27 C today there.

I feel privileged to have been chosen to be a part of this and I am sure that I will gain more from this experience than I can could ever give. As with all mission trips, each of us has to raise the funds for our individual costs to go. There will be a fund setup at my church (Smokey Point Community Church) to be able to contribute to help us complete this goodwill mission. I will share that info as soon as I know it and since any money does go directly to the church, it will be tax deductible.

I am really excited about this opportunity to help others who can't help themselves. :)

1319100-Fairy_Tale_-Tobolsk.jpg

Wow!

I'm hoping to spend a semester studying abroad in St. Petersburg, as I'm minoring in Russian!

Keep us updated!

They will be teaching us some basic Russian before we go.

Im assuming thats the mission you'll be at? If so thats a pretty sweet fortress, have fun Jim and good luck

No, that is just a building in the city there. We will be taking a bus deep into the mountains to a very rural village where the mission is located.

I went to Russia/Latvia on a missions trip over 10 years ago now, to help build facilities at an orphanage as well as at a "summer/winter camp" for teens struggling with drugs, as well as DJ in some underground clubs.... it was an awesome, eyeopening, humbling, and sometimes harrowing experience. You won't regret it.

"it was an awesome, eyeopening, humbling, and sometimes harrowing experience."

I hope to have the same response that you had when I look back on it later. I expect nothing less. :)

Very cool Jim

I know, right? :D I feel very fortunate for having been selected to go.

Definitely a once in a lifetime experience. Have a great trip and be safe! :aok:

Oh, and if you get a chance... Please tell the Russians we want their WJHC gold medals. :lol:

I'm pretty sure I attacked that fortress in Call of Duty: Black Ops.

And I'm jealous!

:rofl:

The trip is not until May. I don't think I mentioned that. I have to go through some training before then and the team will be learning basic Russian too. We will also be doing allot of fund raising in the next 4 month. It will cost each of us $2500 for airfare, lodging, food, and supplies. If any of ghyou have ever done fund raising for things like this and have ideas to help, please do let me know. I have signed an agreement to personally cover what is not raised with Fund raising efforts. So, basically I will be getting the word out every possible way that i can to stir up funds for the trip. I have resolved to make this happen one way or another. I have no trouble jumping in with both feet to gets thing rolling........

I went to Kenya 2 summers ago and it cost about the same as your trip. I wrote a mass letter to people explaining what i'd be doing adn that any little contribution would help. A handful fo the people my family has given money to for similar things so it went fairly well and I raised a little over half via this method. Not sure if itd work for you the same way, but its worht a shot.

As for getting to the remote village, take your pathfinder!

Well Mr. Jim, I have never dealt with a big fund raiser but IF I find a way to get a little money for your cause I will gladly donate it.

Thanks. I appreciate that. I will post the information about how to donate to the church so that it gets tagged for my mission. I am sure I will have that info up sometime in the next week.

I know this is meant to be, so everything will fall into place.

I went to Kenya 2 summers ago and it cost about the same as your trip. I wrote a mass letter to people explaining what i'd be doing adn that any little contribution would help. A handful fo the people my family has given money to for similar things so it went fairly well and I raised a little over half via this method. Not sure if itd work for you the same way, but its worht a shot.

As for getting to the remote village, take your pathfinder!

Okay, that put a smile on my face literally. It would be very cool if I could have taken my Pathfinder... Not seeing that happen though. :)

Nice Jim! Good Luck!

Thanks, I will keep a daily diary to post when I return home. I know its going to be a life changing experience.