How do I know if my fan clutch is working?

sewebster

My fan seems to spin pretty fast all the time, even when the engine is cold. With the truck off I can rotate the fan fairly easily by hand, so clearly it isn't totally seized... I'm not used to non-electric fans. Maybe this is normal. The truck also seems to take a little while to heat up... and the thermostat is pretty new, so I'm wondering if the fan is the problem...

My fan seems to spin pretty fast all the time, even when the engine is cold. With the truck off I can rotate the fan fairly easily by hand, so clearly it isn't totally seized... I'm not used to non-electric fans. Maybe this is normal. The truck also seems to take a little while to heat up... and the thermostat is pretty new, so I'm wondering if the fan is the problem...

Stick your fingers in the fan while the truck is running, if the fan stops spinning, then the clutch is OK! BTW, I'd wear heavy gloves when performing this test ! lol.

A few ways to tell if the fan clutch is bad are,

fan spins at the same speed no matter if engine is at idle or you are revving it

fan can easily be stopped while turning with a piece of cardboard (don't try this with your hand please!!)

fan has side to side play in it

visible evidence of fluid leaking out of the fan clutch

I thought the one in my 94 was good until I replaced it, you can not mistake the difference in how it sounds when you rev the engine!!

On my 94 the engine temp never went more than 1/4" above the cold mark, the heat was ok but not blistering as other members on here said theirs was, I just replaced my thermostat and flushed the heater core out and now the temp gauge goes just below the half way mark, the heat IS HOT !! 150 degrees out of the vents. My turck takes about 2 miles before it gets to operating temp.

I would open open your hood,start the engine, see how the fan is spinning, how it sounds, should be fairly quiet, than raise the rpms quick moving the linkage on the throttle body, the fan should make more noise, and spin faster if it doesn't the clutch is probably bad.

I would also suggest checking the metal pipe that connects the lower hose and the water outlet, mine was really bad and had a lot of build up inside of it, not to mention the pinholes in it, just got one from the junkyard, I actually pulled 2 to see which was better, the one I didn't buy looked like the cooling system had never ever been serviced, really bad buildup inside, can imagine what the inside of the engine looked like.

Please don't stick your fingers in the fan!!

This is my simplistic checking method.

Spin the fan quickly by hand with the engine cold and off. It should spin 1/4-1/2 turn, not bind or free wheel.

When you first start it cold, you should hear fan roar which fades within 1 minute or so as the fan clutch warms up.

Your temperature does not significantly increase when you come to a stop after driving 25+mph.

Your truck actually warms up.

If it passes these criteria, your fan clutch still works as it should.

fan has side to side play in it

visible evidence of fluid leaking out of the fan clutch

If either of these exist, it probably wont last too much longer.

B

Stick your fingers in the fan while the truck is running, if the fan stops spinning, then the clutch is OK! BTW, I'd wear heavy gloves when performing this test ! lol.

:rofl:

Won't take Nostrodamus to tell you that ain't a bright idea! Plastic blade fan or not! Use B's method...fairly failproof besides obvious visual signs

The fan clutch should almost freewheel when the engine is cold. When the engine gets warm it starts to lock up.

Edit: when the air passing through the radiator starts to warm up, it starts locking up.

Edited by XSrcing

The fan clutch should almost freewheel when the engine is cold. When the engine gets warm it starts to lock up.

Edit: when the air passing through the radiator starts to warm up, it starts locking up.

Isn't that the opposite of what Precise1 wrote above?

Unless it's freezing outside, a cold fan should spin effortlessly. Think about it, you don't want your fan pulling air through the radiator when the engine is cold, and hardly moving when air needs to be cooling the radiator.

But, since they use a viscous coupling, there will always bee some drag regardless of clutch temperature.

Edited by XSrcing

Unless it's freezing outside, a cold fan should spin effortlessly. Think about it, you don't want your fan pulling air through the radiator when the engine is cold, and hardly moving when air needs to be cooling the radiator.

But, since they use a viscous coupling, there will always bee some drag regardless of clutch temperature.

Every vehicle I've owned with this type of fan, always has had some drag on it. Even when it's -20 below zero outside...like it is now! On the other hand, when it's well into the 80's, as soon as I start the truck it will 'free wheel'until the oil inside or what ever is in there expands, and eventually it will engage the fan or disengage it.

Test results:

Current outside temp is around 40F.

With truck cold I can spin the fan about 3/8 of a turn before it stops. Seems smooth. No noticeable play. When I start the truck the fan spins very quickly, tons of air moving. Revving it causes it to spin faster. Cannot be stopped by cardboard (not even close!).

Drove the truck around on the side streets until it warmed up. This took about 3 miles/10 minutes. The gauge was at about 1/4. The heat was pretty hot.

Now with the truck running the fan is spinning slower, but the engine is idling lower now too, so I would guess that is major difference. Still can't be stopped by cardboard. Revving increases fan speed.

Stopped the truck and spinned fan by hand while everything was still warm. Spins not as far now, more resistance, I guess because it is warmer.

So does this all make sense? I guess it's working? I think the only thing that I find odd is the fact that it spins so fast when cold... but maybe it's really spinning a lot slower than the engine. Of course an e-fan would have been off basically the entire time I drove around...