Recovery Points?

fusion

According to the factory literature, the only point suitable for recovery is the front passenger-side tie-down. I was curious what solutions/options were out there for r50 owners (other then custom bumpers) who want options for recovery at (preferably) all four corners? Yes, I tried searching, maybe I am inept at it, as my efforts yielded no results.

There are two front tow points, apparently the passenger side one has an advanatage over the other one which looks identical to me. In terms of the rear, where a hitch would bolt up there are two recovery plates that came on some pathys, use the same mounts as a towhitch so id assume they are strong enough. Whenever i need to get someone out I always just use the hitch which has a total of 8 grade 8 bolts attaching it to the truck so I feel comfortable gettin on it with that

There are two front tow points, apparently the passenger side one has an advanatage over the other one which looks identical to me. In terms of the rear, where a hitch would bolt up there are two recovery plates that came on some pathys, use the same mounts as a towhitch so id assume they are strong enough. Whenever i need to get someone out I always just use the hitch which has a total of 8 grade 8 bolts attaching it to the truck so I feel comfortable gettin on it with that

I looked at the front recovery points and thought the same as you... that they look the same, but the manual said using the wrong ones can tweak the vehicle, as it has a sub-frame and not a full frame, same with the rear tie-down plates, which mine has. It all makes sense, I just think maybe they are being conservative. I figure as long as the tension is coming from straight on, it should be fine, right? I don't have a hitch but I suppose I could get one until I can get bumpers. I was just curious if others have had experience with this.

I use the passenger side front tow loop in the front. I'm not sure why they suggest the passenger side, but to be safe, I have a shackle only on that side. Before I had the rear bumper I bought a hitch to use for recovery. I think it also saved my rear bumper from being ripped off off-road, as that hitch took a beating off many rocks!! :D

I think it also saved my rear bumper from being ripped off off-road, as that hitch took a beating off many rocks!! :D

x2 on what Pezzy said. I was happy that my hitch hit the rocks than if it was my plastic bumper. I've used the hitch to do a recovery and I think it works great.

the reason they want you to use the passenger side tow hoook is this, it has an extra bolt for one for added strength, and 2 if your being pulled out and the chain or strap breaks, it doesnt come through the windshield right where you are sitting. if you were to be pulling from the drivers hook you'd be dead meat with a flying chain. i had a tow strap break once, and it went right into my passenger headlight. just an example.

you can't really tweak the rig pulling someone out. i have a d-ring shackle adaptor in my hitch, 2 d-ring shackles welded to my front bumper, and plan to weld 2 to my rear steel bumper. but i have put more strain on that front hook, and the rear hitch. i pulled mr jim out at the jim run with the front hook. and in this most recent snow, i was pulling cars up 20ft and deeper enbankments with both the front and rear hooks.