94 FSM

rocknforchrist

Accidentally deleted a file my FSM was in. Anybody got a link to download it again? Changing my thermostat today and i have my Chilton handy but would also like to look at the FSM. Also i know its not a hard task but would anyone care for a how-to pics included on this subject....couldnt find one on here.

Thanks K9sar! Well i got done putting in the thermostat and man did it make a huge difference! The heat was luke warm to cool so i knew what i had to do but didnt realize it was making my pathy run so cold. The temp gauge never got off the cold line even after several hrs of driving this summer to camp site. And it always ran kinda crappy at highway speeds..no power a little chugging. My thermostat was not opening up and therefore engine never getting to proper operating temp. So changed it out and it was covered in rust! The previous owner didn't apparently see the need for changing coolant. Got everything back together and let her run for about 5-7 min. Temp gauge started climbing and the heat was working great...like it would run you out of there! So went for a drive an instantly noticed alot less chugging and more power at 60-75 mph. Great! Funny how something so simple could cause all that! Anyways here are pics of the process just in case someone needs a hand.

IMG_1564.jpg

took off idler pulley bracket

IMG_1568.jpg

after removing lower radiator hose removed thermo housing, very tight space!

IMG_1572.jpg

the old thermo was caked in rust and a black gunk! looks like an OE part w 200K!

IMG_1569.jpg

all parts cleaned and ready to go back on

IMG_1573.jpg

IMG_1574.jpg

clean area good to get gasket material to stay on! And install jiggle valve in Up position

IMG_1575.jpg

all put back together and ready to fill and bleed system for air

IMG_1576.jpg

now here's where my temp is running and heat works great!

Write ups are always good and yes, the motor needs to get to and stay at proper temperature to run correctly. I'm glad it was an easy fix for you. Did you have a lot of coolant drain out when you removed the T-stat housing?

B

No none at all. I dumped the system before i started. You could see it there sitting in the neck but i never even got a drop on me. Its nice were having an "Indian summer" here right now and these 70deg days make pre winter maintenance a must! Couldnt imagine doing all of that with a foot of snow on the ground! Now i'll be able to pullout the people who get stuck and broke down this winter because of lack of maint and they will be warm and toasty sitting in my warm pathy B)