Fuel Tank Removal

Haven't done it on my pathfinder, but have on my car. It was pretty easy, I think I just put the jack under it snug, unbolted, lowered slightly wire care, watching the connections until I could get at them to undo, then lowered the rest of the way. Actually I probably went under the rear seat (would be under the trunk I guess on the truck) and disconnected some wires first. But I'm not sure how much this applies to the pathy, sorry.

Haven't done it on my pathfinder, but have on my car. It was pretty easy, I think I just put the jack under it snug, unbolted, lowered slightly wire care, watching the connections until I could get at them to undo, then lowered the rest of the way. Actually I probably went under the rear seat (would be under the trunk I guess on the truck) and disconnected some wires first. But I'm not sure how much this applies to the pathy, sorry.

Do you know of any ways to patch it still on the truck i tried the 4$ gas tank repair stuff (its junk) and JB weld the JB weld lasted about a week till the gas ate through :shrug:

I don't know how to fix it on the truck, and it probably isn't really the best idea. I bet a million more holes are about to break open anyway... (if it's rusted at least).

I actually tried to weld my car gas tank back together (note, I realize this is a really bad idea, but we filled it with liquid nitrogen to prevent any oxygen from allowing combustion, nevertheless, don't try this!), but failed because it was too decrepit and as soon as you fixed one leak, another would open up. Gas tanks aren't too expensive I think... probably worth just replacing and saving you hassle of trying to patch it. But if you don't have the cash...

On my rust-eaten truck, mine did take a bit of effort w/the breaker bar, but nothing too bad, and they didn't break...

1- Unscrew carpet retainers in back cargo area

2- Remove fuel pump access cover

3- Start the truck, and pull out the fuel pump fuse, the truck with stop running.

4- Suck the gas outta the tank (or use one of those special pumps...if you have a couple extra bucks)

5- Disconnect fuel lines and fuel pump wiring harness via access hatch

6- Unbolt the mounting screws that hold the skid plate, remove skid plate

7- Remove your last mounting bolts, either do what I did *lay on your back and use your legs to hold it up) or figure something out with a jack to help you not drop it..

If you don't remove the gas, it will be impossible to get it back in, I tried with a multitude of contraptions, but just sucked the last 4 gallons out, then it went straight in

Instead of having to suck the gas out I would just run it till its real low. Way easier.

I did that, and it said is was on empty... the gas just made it difficult for me to lift the tank back in because it would slosh around and kick itself off whatever I had it on...

• 1 year later...

old welders trick is to remove tank empty all gas and fill with water weld away no danger at all.drain water dry out and your back in bussiness. man getting it off though is another matter I broke 3 bolts out of six had to drill out and use easy outs.replaced with all new bolts.