Tungsten

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the better e-fan to run?

• From a Nissan Maxima (J30)
    • From a Nissan Quest (V40)
    • From a Ford Taurus
    • Flexalite Black Magic
    • Other

I got mine from a Quest/Villager, it moves more than enough air to cool things down in a hurry. I ran mine with the stock 60A alternator for a while before switching to the Maxima 90A. The 60A didn't appreciate the fan too much... the 90A runs the fan just fine at idle, the volt gauge dips when it first clicks on then goes right back up to 14.2V. The good thing about the Maxima and Quest fans is they don't draw that much juice for the air they move. The Taurus fan moves an astronomical amount of air and sucks juice accordingly...AKA it draws a pretty substantial amount and I'll bet a stock 60/70A alternator won't cut it.

So I should be fine with my 70A and a Quest one? The Maxima one has dual fans and the Quest one is a single large fan. They both appear to bolt up to the factory shroud locations.

I gotta say, IMO, Black Magic Exteme 180 HANDS DOWN!

Comes with a thermostat control and built in relay. I the winter it will drop my radiator temps by 20 degrees in a matter of seconds. In the summer it says on top of things better than the stcok fan did snd the big shroud covers radiator core. The fan only only draws 18 amps(constant) and I gotta say I like it enough to pay full price on a second one for my new 94.

If your gonna go aftermarket the Black magic exreme is the best choice. If your trying to save money Quest is a good option.

Edited by MY1PATH
  • Like 1

No fans are really a bolt in swap but it isn't hard to modify it to fit.

I like my E-fan, it has one big fan and a smaller one that is wired to come on only when the tstat says so and the a/c is on. I don't remember what it is out of, I got it from Simon, and it was already modded to fit. The stock alternator handles it fine it seems but I do have my 90 amp maxi one sitting here ready to install.

No fans are really a bolt in swap but it isn't hard to modify it to fit.

Did I mention my black magic came with brakets that made it a fully bolt-on application?

The only thing not bolt-on was the wireing for the thermostat and that was easy too. It comes with everything labled so all you have to do is cut and crimp.

What's the point of an electronic fan anyway? (since the mechanical one is good enough to keep the engine cool, right?)

I could see it being to reduce parasitic power loss the engine... but the engine still has to turn the alternator harder to recharge the battery etc... so do you actually come out ahead? I think you probably do, just not sure why.

Not criticizing, just asking.

What's the point of an electronic fan anyway? (since the mechanical one is good enough to keep the engine cool, right?)

I could see it being to reduce parasitic power loss the engine... but the engine still has to turn the alternator harder to recharge the battery etc... so do you actually come out ahead? I think you probably do, just not sure why.

They are all just a bunch of posers. In 15 years and 3 different Nissan trucks, I have NEVER had one over heat EVER, even in Baja Mexico in July.

:tongue:

Two possible benefits is slight HP increase (1?? 2?? 3?? :shrug: ) and deep water crossings so you can shut it off to avoid spashing water and cracking fan blades. BUT this is only if you have it set up to a kill switc; I suspect many kits just wire them in for automatic function only.

B

The mechanical fan works great, these rigs cool very easy. But I still rather have my electric, here are some comparisons I've made as far as before and after.

A cluch fan is always turning even when its not fully engaged. when it gets -10 below out I can make the short drive to work and back before the coolant reaches 180 degrees. I used to park right up against walls and idle my engine to help it warm up.

Now a fan only taxes the alty when its running and MY fan only draws 18 amps and moves 3,300 CFM. Many fans draw more and move less. This is great in the winter, the fan almost never runs the engine warms up faster and for the most part, uses the coolant thermostat ONLY to regulate its temperature.

infact For the most part it only runs for a few seconds at a time before reaching its set shut-off point so 90% of the time when I'm headding down the road it won't be on.

the e-fan, when set up properly can offer much more precise control of you engine temps becase its ajustable. It can also be set up to assist your A/C and it lifts right out with your radiator when its time to do your timing belt, so one less thing to remove there. thermostat changes can be done in 20min when there is no belt fan to reach arround, its a fun little toy, I have a shut off switch for water and a Full on switch to pre-cool it before I shut it off so that it will say in safe range on the aproach.

I actually did feel a differance once I did the swap and i'm sure it was good for a 1/2~1/4 mpg too. You don't need one but you are allowed to like having one.

My sole reason for the swap was the fact that I would have to use my hand throttle to "idle" my pathy at 2000rpms just to get the a/c to blow cool air on my wife and other passengers while they sit in the truck and wait for me to spot others thru obstacles on hot summer days in Texas.

My pathy never had a problem with overheating.

Now when on the trails I can kick the taurus fan on high speed and let the truck idle with zero a/c problems.

I have mine set up on a three way switch. low/temp controlled, off, hi-speed.

When idling after the truck is warmed up the fan only runs for about 30secs, and stays off for a while between cycles.

I want one for water crossing. The distributor location sucks balls for water forging. 4x4's I've had in the past had coil packs/distibutorless ignitions and I could submerge the engine and keep going in my 4runner and my tacoma without any problems. But, they both had snorkels, raised diff and tranny vents, waterproofed floor pans, perfect door seals, dielectric grease on every electrical connection known to man, and aftermarket E-fans. The mechanical fan splashes water all over the distributor since it's so close, and will add engine load turning in water obviously, which you don't want near idle for obvious reasons (stalling while submerged, very bad). There's ways to seal the distributor or at least help it shed water, but it's not 100% fool proof, and at least getting rid of the splash will help. Overall 4x4 efficiency I think is the point here....... :handlebars: (also: my e-fans never came on in water and I only had auto thermos, probably cause the outside water always kept my engine cool while submerged.)

Edited by Specv1973

The rear defroster sucks more juice than almost any electric fan out there. And the fan really only needs to come on at idle since about 20 MPH is enough to cool, or the rare time you're grinding up steel hills slowly in the mountains which at that point you're getting around 5 MPG.

Two possible benefits is slight HP increase (1?? 2?? 3?? :shrug: )

Changing mine on the diesel made a noticeable difference, at least off boost. I dunno the exact figures on one of these, but the common figure quoted on the old chev/ford/holden V8's was around 12hp

Electric fans are most useful when there is a serious danger of overheating. Some cars come with lousy cooling systems(German cars seem particularly susceptible to this) while others sit in 100 degree traffic for hours (LA residents seem particularly susceptible to this). Electric fan manufacturers will usually happily provide their fans' cfm capability. Car manufacturers don't post how much air the stock fans move though I'm sure there's some way to calculate it using fan diameter, blade size etc etc. If you're worried about overheating, you may want to look into altering the coolant mix to something like 70/30 before going to the expense of an electric fan. The coolant temp range will increase but there will still be enough to give you the antifreeze effect, corrosion protection etc etc. I've tried the Royal Purple version of Water Wetter and, frankly, it did nothing for me, but maybe I just don't encounter sever enough conditions. :shrug: Just a thought. Would suggest researching before switching coolant or electric fan conversions.

• 2 years later...

I started with the taurus on the 88 but decided to go with the maxima as it covered the rad completely

I used a maxima temp sensor mounted in the metal tube in the upper rad hose to kick in the low speed

fan and a switch on the dash for the high speed fan. (relays on both)

in the last month the temps have been over 100 here and engine temps have been running around 190/ 200 with the A/C on.

Installed the the same way on the 94 except I haven't wired in the high speed yet, want to set it up with the A/C.

I think I'm going to move to the maxima fan , I'm using an Altima fan right now and it has been working great up until I started towing with my path. It keeps it at half or less on the gauge but I just don't like the fluctuation while towing so its time to upgrade! The altima fan will make its way into my 240sx now I think

I think I'm going to move to the maxima fan , I'm using an Altima fan right now and it has been working great up until I started towing with my path. It keeps it at half or less on the gauge but I just don't like the fluctuation while towing so its time to upgrade! The altima fan will make its way into my 240sx now I think

The metal max fan fits the the rad almost perfect but it will have to be notched out for the alt.

I was going to use the later plastic one but it over lapped the rad to far to suit me