Springs!

wilson

So I installed the Moog progressive coil springs yesterday. It took a couple of hours.

To elaborate on some previous discussions on spring compressors, I borrowed one, (made by Powerbuilt) but realized that it would not work because the design of the tool meant that it had to go INSIDE of the coil. Now, the last time I did this job, (on a different vehicle) I used a spring compressor that consisted of 2 pieces and went on the OUTSIDE of the coil. If you google spring compressor and go to images, you should see what I'm talking about.

So, with the wrong compressor off to the side and after a few curses, I simply loosened the e-brake brackets under the passenger seats, jacked up the rig and put it on jack stands, removed the rear wheels. With a jack supporting the rear diff, I removed the rear shocks from the lower mounts and slowly lowered the rear axle until I could pry out the old springs using a large (14") screwdriver. Then I installed the new Moogs with the tighter coils at the top. I had to use a rubber hammer to bang it over the lower spring mount, but that was super easy. Put everything back the way it was, and went for a drive. A 300 km drive.

With the proper compressor (external design) this job would have gone even faster. The result? No gain in lift, but then the rear doesn't sag when I load it up with groceries! Stopping is improved, as is acceleration as lost motion is greatly diminished. Handling is far superior with less body roll. Put 100 lbs of "winter weight" in the back today, over the axle and it's not even noticeable. I'm happy. Good value for the $$$. Was disappointed though that they didn't come with a sticker. :thumbsdown: I like stickers. :laugh:

Edited by lint

the 94 we bought a couple of months ago has the JGC springs and the torsion bars have been cranked, Tomorrow it goes back to stock.

1. I don't care for the rough ride.

2. I'm not sure if the cranked torsion bars were the reason or part of the reason but the idler arm pivot shaft broke on me last week. Luckily I was only doing about 5 mph when it broke. I replaced it with a moog and I had to pry it a bit to get the mounting bolts to line up with the holes

Rough ride? When I did my SL I swore it rode a lot better, then again I replaced a lot of bushings too.

The idler arm shouldn't have been affected by the cranked torsion bars. Many people have SL's and haven't had any problems.

33a945aa-851a-4fad-ac63-0a67358d9de3.jpg

before replacing springs

98754095-bcb6-4d49-8872-b6105e28c416.jpg

height at rear fender flare

deee7117-b507-4321-8fe2-a0845ea58479.jpg

height at front flare

712c3d05-9709-48d4-9c3b-6a53e68708c8.jpg

comparing springs

21577e42-4b44-4009-ad6f-0f5b53f3ccf8.jpg

springs installed

d5c1f37b-7519-488d-bfb4-4725df5152c9.jpg

height at rear flare with stock springs

932e883f-2b11-4b90-831b-f9ce67c0f4e3.jpg

torsion bolt cranked

a0e75b32-b8c4-42a0-aef1-c77ea1ff73f8.jpg

after adjustment

84a909b8-e6ed-4eb1-9358-ced08132167d.jpg

new height at front flare

\Oh and the springs were not GCJs

they were out of a 79 El Camino according to the paint on the springs.

It rides a lot smoother but I kind of miss the heightso maybe in the future I'll try some other springs.

Oh and the idler arm was fairly new and it looked like it had been partially broken, it took me about 3 hours altogether from start to finish

It rides a lot smoother but I kind of miss the height so maybe in the future I'll try some other springs.

Oh and the idler arm was fairly new and it looked like it had been partially broken, it took me about 3 hours altogether from start to finish

May I reccomend getting some XJ 3" lift springs from rough country($120) and cutting the pigtail off. Their spring rate is nearly Identical to the stock pathfinder and will offer a stock feeling ride that is 3" taller. I really like mine but some would rather have a stiffer ride for load hadling characteristics.

All other rear lift options (Grand Cherokee, Ford, 4x4 parts, calmini, emu etc...) all have stiffer spring-rates than stock.

Edited by MY1PATH

May I reccomend getting some XJ 3" lift springs from rough country($120) and cutting the pigtail off. Their spring rate is nearly Identical to the stock pathfinder and will offer a stock feeling ride that is 3" taller. I really like mine but some would rather have a stiffer ride for load hadling characteristics.

All other rear lift options (Grand Cherokee, Ford, 4x4 parts, calmini, emu etc...) all have stiffer spring-rates than stock.

Thanks I'll keep this in mind :aok:

do they still exist?

allot of that wd21 nismo stuff is discontinued. (CAMS, fenders, swaybars, headders, exhaust systems, brush guards... all gone)

Edited by MY1PATH

Hmm. They're still in the 2010 catalogue. So are the euro cams, which say they are 264 degree duration, so maybe that's the answer to my other question. Maybe you can't get them, in which case, they should remove them from the catalogue..

Hmm. They're still in the 2010 catalogue. So are the euro cams, which say they are 264 degree duration, so maybe that's the answer to my other question. Maybe you can't get them, in which case, they should remove them from the catalogue..

The euro cams are not nismo cams they are stock for non-USDM. I did inquire about the nismmo #1 and #2 wich were on the catalog at the time and they said not-available. You could try with the springs, ya never know...

• 1 month later...

Well while out prowling the local jys looking to see if any new pathys were out I ran across a GCJLV8 that someone had conveniently pulled the front end and had so nicely left the springs just laying in the mud, so with my wallet $30.00 lighter I now have another set of coils to play with. I miked the springs and they came out at .560

the El Camino springs that I took off miked .700.

When the pigtail is cut off the springs will be approx 2 inches taller then the E C springs, although with a taller spring I believe I'll still have a softer ride then I did with the E C springs hopefully.

Now all I need is for it to stop raining for a few days.

Oh I also picked up a grab handle to install on the drivers side, mama thought that was a great idea, and a door lock mechanism for the back left door, and even picked up a rear hatch lite for the 88

I didn't want it to feel left out.

They're going to have to get some more pathys in, the ones that are there are really picked over

i was wondering what the moog part number is? might have to order some cause my rear sags , every other pathy i seen is sitting stink bug the stokc ones

x2

I bought a pair used, gave exactly 3" over stock, little soft for hauling say, 600lb of cargo, but definitely a comfy ride and used, I paid $45!

yeah thats probably the ideal way but im kinda thinking of leaving mine stock just dontlike the saggyness, i just dont want to have it sitting 3inches of lift in the rear and no lift up front