Odd tire issue?

JazonD

First post in ages... been lurking for a while now.

Here is my predicament -

I just got some 265/70R-16 General Grabber AT2's installed. Why would I not rub the strut on my passenger side but I do in the drivers? The struts are Ranchos, but all the work was done to this R50 before I bought it so I dont know much more that that.

My guess would be camber issues with an alignment. As you can see from the pic below your camber setting with the alignment can bring the top of the tire closer or farther away from the bottom of the strut.

camber.jpg

Edited by 01silvapathy

My guess would be camber issues with an alignment. As you can see from the pic below your camber setting with the alignment can bring the top of the tire closer or farther away from the bottom of the strut.

camber.jpg

I agree. How can I test to see if NTB is messing with me? They put it on the rack and said it is in alignment. They just mounted and balanced the tires as well. Is there a home brew way of seeing if my camber/caster is off?

Can't adjust camber or caster with MacPhersons.

don't know how r50s are set up but generally where the strut mounts to the spindle one of the holes is oblong allowing for camber adjustment.

and here

http://www.negative-camber.org/jam149/technical/alignment.html

neat way that can be duplicated in some way at least for DIY camber check a little down the page

Well, pretty disappointed in NTB. And, I picked this one since there were several 4WD beasts in the parking lot in various states of repair. Not much interest in actually helping or finding a solution. The only answer was "You bought the wrong tires, stock size is bla, bla, bla..."

By the time I got it home the rubbing had pretty much stopped. It just notched the tread as needed. 'bout 1/2in wide, 3/8s deep on the inner shoulder of the driver’s side. I think the next go round I may replace the ranchos and get some 3/4in wheel spacers.

But on the other hand... these Grabbers look pretty dang beefy. Pretty good reviews on TireRack, hopefully they perform as good as they look. :aok:

Hah! While it is rubbing it is loud as hell.

But with the flowmaster exhaust, I just punch it and the tire howl goes away. :laugh:

That aside, so far they are not bad. Have not got up to highway speeds with them yet tho.