cv shaft replacement

coyotedustr

Ok, so I am getting ready to take the front end of my 01 apart. I have the warn hubs to put on, and while it is apart it is getting brakes and cv shafts. I have one torn boot and the truck has 130k on it so I am going to through a new set on. I have two questions that I could not quickly find the answer to

1. how do the shafts come out? after you take apart the hub assembly do they just pull out? (Obviously I havn't started yet)

2. With the warn hubs, can I get away with parts store shafts, or should I buck up and get the nissan units? 4x4 is only going to be used for snow

Thanks for the help

Ok, so I am getting ready to take the front end of my 01 apart. I have the warn hubs to put on, and while it is apart it is getting brakes and cv shafts. I have one torn boot and the truck has 130k on it so I am going to through a new set on. I have two questions that I could not quickly find the answer to

1. how do the shafts come out? after you take apart the hub assembly do they just pull out? (Obviously I havn't started yet)

2. With the warn hubs, can I get away with parts store shafts, or should I buck up and get the nissan units? 4x4 is only going to be used for snow

Thanks for the help

1) jack the front, remove the 3 bolts of the lower control arm, remove the dust cap of the wheel hub, remove the snap ring of the axle, remove the 6 bolts of the half-shaft from diff flange, remove the half-shaft pulling towards the middle of the truck. easylly done in about 20 minutes or less.

2) once you see the price of the oem nissan shafts, you will probably go after market ... and if you do not trail with them, then no point of paying extra for nothing. If your shafts are still good though, you can also just replace the boots : http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=26677&view=findpost&p=492986

cheers.

1) jack the front, remove the 3 bolts of the lower control arm

To add some clarification, those three nuts are the ones attaching the ball joint to the control arm. You remove them to enable you to push the control arm down and out of the way to provide enough clearance to slide the CV axle out through the opening created by the swung-down control arm.

How long have the boots been torn. Since on the r50 the cv's spin all the time I would just get new shafts as the grease has more than likely been thrown out by centrifugal force. Parts store shafts should be ok.

How long have the boots been torn. Since on the r50 the cv's spin all the time I would just get new shafts as the grease has more than likely been thrown out by centrifugal force. Parts store shafts should be ok.

That is what I was thinking. I have no idea how long they have been torn, i just noticed it as i was changing the oil the other day. I figure with the warn hubs, the parts store ones should be fine since they will now see minimal use.

Unless you are really short on cash, just change the complete assemblies. That way you will know everything is good. For all you know, the last owner just replaced the boots.

New assemblies are cheap and plentiful. I changed mine about 2 months back. Was about an hour long job changing both of them.

Unless you are really short on cash, just change the complete assemblies. ...

New assemblies are cheap and plentiful. ... Was about an hour long job changing both of them.

Yep. It's probably about a 2-hour job to replace just the boots, and loads more messy, too. LOL

To add some clarification, those three nuts are the ones attaching the ball joint to the control arm. You remove them to enable you to push the control arm down and out of the way to provide enough clearance to slide the CV axle out through the opening created by the swung-down control arm.

nope that's not what I meant.

when I change the half-shaft I do not touch the balljoint... I really unbolt the 3 big bolts that attach the control arm to the frame.... I find it easier and less chance of damaging the ball joint.

nope that's not what I meant.

when I change the half-shaft I do not touch the balljoint... I really unbolt the 3 big bolts that attach the control arm to the frame.... I find it easier and less chance of damaging the ball joint.

Likewise.