My Subframe Drop Install Thread

01silvapathy

not hatin on those wheels, but some black steelies would do wonders for the look of your truck overall

Tell me about it brah. But thats more money and as things stand now I have better things to spend money on. First thing I need to replace is my strut mount that has a squeaky bearing that is driving me crazy....everytime I stop it squeaks. Ontop of that I need new ball joints soon, as well as extended rear links to help re center the axle. I am really hoping to get a job so I can start making money. Being a broke college kid really sucks.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so I know that some of yall asked for fender measurements awhile back and I finally got around to taking some tonight when I was bored so here is what I came up with in terms of numbers...keep in mind that this is a 6.5in lift up front and around 5 or so in the back on around a 32in tire

Ground to bottom of subframe- 16 Inches

Ground to bottom of front fender flare (fender measurement)- 42 Inches

Ground to bottom of rear fender flare- 40 Inches

Ground to bottom of doors- 25 1/2 Inches

Ground to bottom of trailer hitch- 22 Inches

Ground to bottom of front bumper plastic in the middle- 22 Inches

Let me know if there are any other measurements yall want to know and I will be able to get them for you.

• 4 months later...

where would you recommend to do first the front of back? because im planning on doing on myself this upcoming summer and have never done anything like it before. thanks

• 4 weeks later...

i think i can figure out how to lift my r50 for free aside from the extended brake lines and steering shaft since dont want to use a block spacer which im not a fan of. do you know the exact measurements of the blocks? the four sub frame blocks, strut spacers and engine spacers? if you could that would be awesome help.oh ya and what pitch are the strut spacers on? this would be awesome help if you have a way of finding out. thanks

Whats with all the hate lately on r50s? Its probably because we finally found a way to lift up higher and really challenge a wd offoroad

looks sick man. nice job. im getting the same struts and shocks priced out right now. how much did they cost you? the Ranchos and KYBs?

I'm sure that we all have personal prefferences. I'm running the RS5000's on my AC 2" lift.

396337558.jpg

Third picture down. the black things that would sit under your springs. are they the Wj coil adapters that come with subframe drop kit on krfabs.com?

Okay yall, figured id go ahead and post up the rest of the pics from when I finished up the rest of the lift this past weekend. It was a relatively straight forward process that only took us about 2 hours to complete. We did not make a panhard rod drop bracket cause we measured and did not notice any shift in the axle. But its on the list of things to get done. Also need to get some extended rear links or build them to help recenter the axle cause its obvious that it got pulled forward quite a bit.

First off jack the ass end wayyyy up in the air and place jack stands right in front of where the lower links mount and take off the tires.

001-6.jpg

Then take off the shocks and rear brake line....you absolutely have to get a new one for this there is no getting around it

002-8.jpg

In order to get the axle to drop enough we detached the upper links from the axle and that gave us just enough room to fit the coils on with the spacers. We also detached the panhard rod from the axle to keep it from binding

003-7.jpg

I know we forgot to detach the lsv spring but oh well, it didnt break lol

004-10.jpg

Next install the new brake line being careful not to strip out the lines....no pics of that

Next was to weld on the spacers 3 small beads did the trick

007-9.jpg

010-6.jpg

After that just re install the shocks and put the wheels and tires back on and bleed the brakes...it was about 1000 times more easy to do than the front was lol. I will make a seperate post with pics and such of the completed project.

Tools you will need to complete the sfd lift

-Big Set of Jackstands...atleast 3ton

-Big Jack that can raise the rear of the truck high up in the air

-Assorted tools and wrenches

-Air tools made some things easier but are not required

-Breakerbar

-Lots of PB Blaster

-Torch comes in handy to help loosen stubborn bolts

-Torque Wrench

-Brake Fluid

-Friends help alot

Edited by DCgabel

question. could i weld/adjust the rear coil adapter-spacers so that i make the pathy sit level? just notice that your is 42 on the front and 40 on the back. possible?

Front for sure, its the most time consuming so do it when you are fresh lol

looks sick man. nice job. im getting the same struts and shocks priced out right now. how much did they cost you? the Ranchos and KYBs?

I can't remember the exact cost of the struts/shocks as I ordered them along with the springs and manual hubs. $930'ish for the whole package delivered I think.

question. could i weld/adjust the rear coil adapter-spacers so that i make the pathy sit level? just notice that your is 42 on the front and 40 on the back. possible?

I believe that the problem with the added height gained would result with the rear axel "pulling" forward. The trailing arms need to be lengthened along with the drive shaft (correct me if I'm wrong SFD'ers) to accommodate the offset.

Devonianwalk - you are talking about re-centering the axle and in that case yes you would have to get new links and driveshaft made.

DCGabel - in order to make it completely level you are going to have to take in account the sag the springs will have and buy some rubber coil spacers to put in to level it out.

• Like 1

Devonianwalk - you are talking about re-centering the axle and in that case yes you would have to get new links and driveshaft made.

:yeahthat: Am I correct in thinking that the axel pulls forward as the rear end is lifted?

Yes the higher up you go the closer the tire will be to the fender flare cause its being pulled in. The fix would be to get longer links upper and lower and then a custom driveshaft or driveshaft spacer. And those are spring spacers that were welded to the spring perch.

i was wondering if you could tell me how tall were the spacers on your kit exactly? could you possibly email me the specs? dylangabel@hotmail.com

id really appreciate it. thanks

Yes the higher up you go the closer the tire will be to the fender flare cause its being pulled in. The fix would be to get longer links upper and lower and then a custom driveshaft or driveshaft spacer. And those are spring spacers that were welded to the spring perch.

• 3 weeks later...

You know where i can get new links? and as for the drive shaft, i know its possible to buy spacers. you know where i could get one for the pathy specifically?

thanks

Edited by DCgabel

• 2 months later...

What size bolts came with the kit to bolt on the blocks? they like two inch grade eights?

Third picture down. the black things that would sit under your springs. are they the Wj coil adapters that come with subframe drop kit on krfabs.com?