Hard Starting - Does anyone else have this problem?

adamzan

So sometimes the truck takes like 8 turns of the engine to start. Usually when it does this is when it sits over night or when its warm. Also when it starts the idle kinda wavers back and forth a couple times then stabilizes. When you shut it off and leave it for like an hour and come back it will start up with less than one roll...

It has all the tuneup stuff done, including fuel filter. It's been doing this for a while but its starting to get annoying. The ecu has no codes and the gas mileage is still good. I'm clueless.

Edited by adamzan

• 3 months later...

Ok so I have been living with this problem for a while now. I fixed the maf wiring and the engine runs pretty good now. But I still get the hard start/wavy idle for a second or 2 after it fires up. Has anyone else had this issue? It only does it when it is warm.

I am going to get a fuel pressure tester soon. From googling I have found that (although on other vehicles) it may be the fuel pressure regulator. Are they known to fail on the wd21s?

When I was on my road trip after a long drive through the hills and such I found my fuel pump was really loud in the back. I noticed it when I got to Texas. It stopped doing it and I just ignored it cause I figured it was the hot weather or something. Nige told me his did the same thing, is this something to be concerned about?

I am going to get a fuel pressure tester soon. From googling I have found that (although on other vehicles) it may be the fuel pressure regulator. Are they known to fail on the wd21s?

This is what I was going to say. The WD21 PRs are not problematic from what I know, but they can fail also. My wife's Matrix had a leaking PR and it had the same 'took a few cranks' to fire since it had to build up pressure again. Check the fuel pressure and bleed down rate (it shouldn't) and replace the inline fuel filter if you haven't recently.

B

Fuel filter is new as of the spring. That is the second time I have changed it as well. I'm gonna do the test this week or next hopefully the weather becomes more friendly.

Springs coming again... I do 1 f.filter a year (my spring oil change). I don't know the pressure specs... I'll look em up tomorow on the Modis or Mitchel On Demand while at work.

The wavy idle is definitely a fuel delivery issue. Mine does that crap for the first 3 seconds on winter cold starts and it sometimes even has a random misfire and the oil light stays on. 3 seconds later all I can hear is the lifters and then less than a minute later it all goes quiet and works fine like the problem didn't even exist. I'm going to get the thing fuel pressure tested sometime during the week and see what I can find. I checked the ECU for codes but there are no problems found and the check engine light is off.

Edited by Tungsten

Try leaving the key in the on position (not start) for 5 seconds before cranking, and see if it starts faster. It could be a pinhole leak in the fuel lines causing the fuel system to lose pressure while sitting, which the fuel pump has to make up before providing sufficient fuel to the injectors.

Try leaving the key in the on position (not start) for 5 seconds before cranking, and see if it starts faster. It could be a pinhole leak in the fuel lines causing the fuel system to lose pressure while sitting, which the fuel pump has to make up before providing sufficient fuel to the injectors.

tried, starts the same, look how long i held it in the video

this was even after a tune up

does it ever take longer than in the video, cuase that don't seem that bad. I mean yeah pahtys can start faster than that but that vid don't seem terrible.

Yeah but it shouldn't stumble like that on start up. I'll take a video of mine today when I go to leave.