Fluid Changes

Guest tif22

Hi,

I am new here and new to pathfinders. (my Lada Niva just died on me, if you know what that is :lol: )

I am picking up my '95 Pathfinder this week and was wondering what fluids are recommended (ie. engine tranny diff etc. ?). Mine doesn't have the owners manual with it and I have ordered a '94 manual from Nissan (they are all out of '95's) but I am not sure if it will be here in time.

We plan to drive it right over to the penzoil that I go to and have all the fluids changed right away just to get it off to the right start.

We plan on using synthetic oil for the first change to clear out any crap that may be in the engine.

Thanks alot

-tif

hi and welcome firstly.

Lada Niva.... hehehehehe (i sure it served well)

congrates on the pathy

as for oils, im only saying wot i use, with the understanding i have.

engine oil i use 'valvoline xld premium' i find its a very good clean oil that hasnt been altered by man or machine to the hilt, like synthetics have.

diff and gear box i use mobilube gear oil - cant remeber the weight right now.

the thing with oils is it comes down to personal preference and experience, im sure some of the other guys will say different to wot ive said.

Hello and welcome to NPORA Forums,

firstly I would like to say welcome. Also please don't post 2 topics that are exactly the same in different threads. (makes confusion among members) I have personal messaged you and I have deleted the other post and edited steves post to show what he wrote in the other topic. Thank you.

(sorry if I came off rude, not intended)

You'll do fine with the 94 manual. The original 94 manual was a couple inches thick. For 95, they issued an inch thick manual as a suppliment to the full 94. THis contained updates/corrections to the 94 manual as well as updates for what changed for 95. Like I said, it wasn't a thick manual and I have not yet run into something that was specifically 95 that wasn't close enough to 94 to figure out easily.

I left a note for myself to check the books tonight for the fluids and I'll let you know.

Straight from the 94/95 manuals....

Engine Oil - VG30E engine

------------

capacity w/ oil filter 3-5/8 qt

capacity w/o filter 3-1/8 qt

reco type - Energy Conserving Oils (EC-I, EC-II) of API SG or SH

reco viscosity - based on outside temperature before your next oil change

5W30 - all temps

10W30 or 10W40 - temps above 0 deg F

20W40 or 20W50 - temps above 50 deg F

Cooling system - Ethylene glycol base anti-freeze coolant

Manual trans gear oil / Manual steering gear oil - API GL-4 (plus see viscosity chart below)

Auto trans fluid / Transfer gear oil - Genuing Nissan ATF or equiv (check w/dealer for acceptable substitutes)

Differential carrier gear oil - Standard differential gear : API GL-5 (see viscosity below)

Limited-slip differential (LSD) gear : use only LSD gear oil API GL-5 and SAE 80W90(temps above 0 deg F) approved for Nissan LSD (check w/ dealer for acceptable oils)

Power steering fluid - type DEXRON II or equiv

Brake and clutch fluid - Genuine Nissan brake fluid or equiv DOT 3 (US FMVSS No. 116)

Multi-purpose grease - NLGI No. 2 (Lithium soap base)

Free-running hub grease (auto lock) - genuine Nissan grease or equiv

Gear Oil Viscosity (depends on temp)

--------------------------------------------

always below 50 deg F - 75W

always below 86 deg F - 80W

always below 104 def F - 75W90 or 80W90

between 14 and 86 deg F - 85W

between 32 and 104 deg F - 90

always above 50 deg F - 140

75W90 transmission and 80W90 differential if temps always below 104

Hope this helps.

• 1 year later...

Ok, I have some stupid questions. I need to pick up some fluids today.

The front diff uses just regular GL-5 without the LSD additive right? Can GL-5 with the LSD additive be used in a non LSD Diff? I don't think or know if the front is an LSD. I would assume it isn't, but yes, I can be an ID10T.

Also, what are the capacities of the front diff, rear diff, transfer case and clutch? I don't have my manual in front of me. I did write down the specs but knew I was forgetting something.

The capacities are my biggest concern. I know the oil is 3 5/8th's with the filter and that the trans is 5.1 liters. I just don't know what the others are.

it's really hard to find GL w/o lsd additive these days.. i use the ones that are available..

make sure you use GL-4 ONLY!!! in your manual trans. also you need 1 more qt/L in there.. according to updated info.

search the forums .. i think there is a link to some online OMs here somewhere.. if not google them.. i am pretty sure they are online..

So, an LSD additive is ok in the front?

I found the manual online, but it gives me pints and liters. I can't convert! :-) Also, it has a bunch of different versions for the front and back. So, I'm going with the largest amount, this way I have enough and maybe some to spare.

Ok. I just ordered redline MT-90 for the trans. Amsoil 75W-90 GL5 for the front and rear diff. Amsoil ATF for transfer case and some brand DOT 3 for the clutch. Gave me a good deal on all of it. I can't complain.

$13.50 list for the red line. I'm paying $10.99.

$11.00 list for the ATF. I'm paying $7.25

$11.20 list for the GL5. I'm paying $7.50

$8.00 list for the DOT 3. I'm paying $4.50

Well, since my radiator isn't in, that's a given. My front diff was disconnected to get the oil pan out so it's empty right now. I'm have a shifting issue when I pull the stick back, it doesn't glad perfectly free. It would sometimes get stuck, but it's hard to explain. Not stuck where I can't move it, just not gliding smoothly. We are hoping that this flush will fix that issue or else I am going to need my trans rebuilt.

The rest is just routine maintenence since I'm not sure when it was done last if it was ever done.

Did you oil the linkage pivot points ??? They can get pretty crapped up with mud, road grit, mouse carcasses, etc. The factory grease is at least 10 years old, right ??

Also, I put slightly heavier oil in my tranny and it shifts stiff for the first mile or so till it warms up...

B

I didn't oil and linkages. I don't even know what they are. :-)

I got the Redline MT-90 which is 75W-90 GL4. I saw somebody use it on Mr Jim's page and he liked it. So, we'll see. I hope it works well.

They say that I don't need the LSD additive with the Amsoil GL5, but I'm getting some just incase. Rather be safe than sorry.

Sorry, my BAD !! The 4x4 shifter has some linkage (brackets, pivot points) but the gear shifter plugs right into the top of the tranny case... :unsure: I work on too many different vehicles and get confused sometimes. Try working on a VW bug, BMW motorcycle and Pathy all in the same day... There's a lot of :furious: , :shrug: , pssd going on. Still, I'm P... myself about this one...

I'm sure your choice of oil is fine, and generally better safe than sorry with the additive. BUT it should tell you on the bottle, or you can go to the web site and read/contact the manufacturer. Maybe too much LSD additive will make it not hook as well ? :shrug:

B

AMSOIL LONG LIFE SYNTHETIC GEAR LUBES are compatible with most limited slip differentials. If limited slip differential chatter occurs, add AMSOIL Slip-Lock™ friction modifier additive.

That's from the Amsoil page. I guess we'll see what happens. They said at the place that adding it shouldn't do anything.

Sounds like you are just fine with the oil as it is. Add some if you like but I'm sure they say that to cover their butt... Doubt it would hurt now that you looked. ;)

B

After the $114 I spent it better work! :-)

I just want the damn thing back and since he has to refill the front diff, I guess it would be easier for him to do the rest too.

If he says no, there is always STS right down the road from my house.

By the way, thanks for all the tips and advice from all of you!