Using stock Rims on 2" lift?

HitMan

So before installing the lift I want to know if you can still use the stock rims on the R50 if you use spacers? If so what size spacer do I need to get to keep the stock rim? I am going to be upgrading to a 32" tire. Do you guys think I'm better off just getting new rims or going with the spacers? The reason I want to keep the stock ones is because I like the 15" rim and it makes the truck still look stock.

Yeah if you had done a simple search, it would have answered your question pretty quickly. Someone else mentioned the same thing in another thread just this week.

But to answer your question anyways, you will need spacers if you are going to try and fit 32" tires in there. But for the price of spacers (around $200 a pair), it is the same price, if not cheaper to buy a new set of rims with a better off-set to push the tires out.

Unless you really want to keep your original rims, it is probably a better buy to get new rims.

Edited by Northernpathy

Okay, well the last 2 posts are kinda miss leading. If you are using stock rims you can fit a 285-75-16 tire (32.8x11.5) tire without rubbing if you use 1.5in wheel spacers up front. The spacers are only needed in the front so ONE set should work just fine. And spacers are not 200 bucks a pair, I got my 1.5in spacers shipped for 85 and have not had a problem. And I am running the 32.8x11.5 on stock rims without any problems and no rubbing have been for a year now.

Check in the How To Section I made a very detailed topic about how to fit a 285 75 16 tire on the 2in lift with stock rims, all your questions should be answered there. Dont let people tell you it cant be done, cause obviously it can :stickwack:

Edited by 01silvapathy

he only wants to fit 32's, not 285/75/16. and he also points out that he has 15" rims, not 16". you need to find out the backspacing for the wheels you have. they are probably 15x7, and if you have a decent backspacing you will be able to run the tires fine. a backspacing of 4.25 is the highest without hitting the strut. if you have higher than that, i would say get some wheel spacers.

i am always iffy about wheel spacers though, so if i were you i would just try to get new wheels.

Backspacing to prevent rubbing is not the only concern when fitting larger tires to stock wheels. IIRC, the stock 15" steel wheels are 7" wide. If you check the "Rim Width Range" for a particular tire (more info here), you will see that nearly all 32x11.50R15 tires do not recommend anything less than an 8.0" rim width.

While it may be technically possible to install an 11.5" wide tire on a 7" wide rim, the tire will take a shape that may adversely affect its performance and handling characteristics. A wide tire on a narrow rim may distort the tread, and the sidewalls may flex more than it's been designed for.

• Like 1

sorry I haven't really done too much research on it yet, as in I haven't measured the backspacing or know the rim width yet. I'll go check it out tomorrow ,but I have looked into buying spacers and it can be about the same cost as new steel rims. Maybe I'll just go with a steel rim offset correctly so I don't have any rubbing or have to deal with "making it fit". Thanks everyone for the advice, but I do want to stick with a 15" rim because the tires are cheaper that way.

Holy hell in a hand basket xD

You R50 guys are SO complicated when it comes to slapping on some tires and making them go round without f'in anything up!!

WD's, if there's not enough room, slam in bigger pucks between the frame and body

if there's still not, keep cutting stuff until there is >_<

/minirant

*sigh*

on a side note... I need help making the 33" Mickey T's fit onto this beatup R50 I just bought >_>

SO, with AC lift, to prevent rubbing from a 33x12.5R15 tire on anything IMPORTANT (suspension bits and junk), I need WHAT amount of back space??

dont worry about the non-important stuff (fenders, plastic junk, brake lines or my feet, I've got a grinder for those)

total backspacing upfront required is... what, still 3.75" ?

thanks guys xD

Holy hell in a hand basket xD

You R50 guys are SO complicated when it comes to slapping on some tires and making them go round without f'in anything up!!

WD's, if there's not enough room, slam in bigger pucks between the frame and body

if there's still not, keep cutting stuff until there is >_<

/minirant

*sigh*

on a side note... I need help making the 33" Mickey T's fit onto this beatup R50 I just bought >_>

SO, with AC lift, to prevent rubbing from a 33x12.5R15 tire on anything IMPORTANT (suspension bits and junk), I need WHAT amount of back space??

dont worry about the non-important stuff (fenders, plastic junk, brake lines or my feet, I've got a grinder for those)

total backspacing upfront required is... what, still 3.75" ?

thanks guys xD

I totally agree we make a very big issue of a pretty small problem :tongue: but its one of the only mods that we can do to our trucks so we all want to talk about it... a lot!

As for your issue, I will try to make it simple. Just put them on and start cutting! don't even get the lift, just cut until they fit :jig: you might want to go with a bigger tire though, maybe a 37" or a 40" :lmao: 3.75 should be fine.

P.S. This post may contain BAD advice, read with care.

Edited by DanAK

I am not sure, I have what is basically 3.25" BS on front and back with my SFD. I am pretty sure my rears will not tuck under. I wish Micky Thomson made the same wheel with around 4" BS so I could put those on the rear.

Anyway 33x12.5 is pretty big with only the AC lift I don't know if you will ever get those inside the wheel well. I would try to see if the backs fit with stock BS.

Well I kinda thought I might have to do some cutting and grinding to make it all work, so if that be the case then oh well.

It needs paint pretty bad anyway so I figured if I had to cut and grind then some paint could clean it up

I just don't want these tires to have to go to waste xD