more progress on the topless project.

here's more of what we've done so far. enjoy!

Before, $395 cash drove it home.

before.jpg

A week later we lopped the roof off.

topoff.jpg

door tops and pillars smoothed out, door panels installed.

panels.jpg

other door panels

doors.jpg

rear area

panel.jpg

up next it the cage. still trying to find a local guy with a bender we can borrow. no luck yet.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

At the junkyard this past Saturday I came across a pathfinder that someone made into a convertible, it looked like a truck straight out of a Jurassic Park movie, it was all shades of gray camo, the rear was all open, they had what looked like the main hoop of a truck bed roll bar behind the seats and than another one at the rear of the truck with a steel rack sitting on top of it. The edges of the body where it was cut looked like someone spent some time finishing them off. Wish I had a camera. May try to run back Saturday and if I do I'll get some pics. It really looked like something made for a sight seeing business or similar.

• 2 weeks later...

so we got the cage welded in, mostly. still gotta do all the criss cross stabilizers, but with the size tubing and stuff we used so far its built way better than the original roof was.

the door panels are cut from "alupanel" its a really cool sign material we use at the sign shop. its thin aluminum on both sides with plastic in the middle. its like 1/8th inch thick overall, and comes painted white already.

were taking it to the dunes in a month, so I gotta get crackin!

0215110942.jpg

Leather yes, and heated seats too! Did have AC, before I took it out. Wish the heat worked better, its stuck on defrost and for some reason its a bit drafty too, dunno why.

Sag? the body didnt sag, it seems lower in the rear than in the front, I dont know if the previous owners torked up the torsion bars or if the butt end is dragging. the doors work fine. the back doors were a bit floppy before we welded the roll cage up to the middle pillars, now its more solid than new.