Running 15" Toyota Rims?

lint

Howdy! In searching through the forums, I haven't found the answer regarding running 15" Toyota rims on my '95 SE.

The OEM Legos (with 31x10.5x15) are 15x7 JJ & have a backspacing (to tyre) of 6" and backspacing (to rim) of 5" with an offset of 25. I just got a set of 4 toyota rims on a good deal.

The Toyota rims (with 31x10.5x15) are 15x7JJ & have a backspacing (to tyre) of 5.5" and backspacing (to rim) of 4 3/8" with an offset of 8.

With the legos mounted, 1/2" of the stud threads are available.

With the Toyota rims, only 3/8" of the stud threads are available.

I know some of you (Silverton?) run 'yota rims...do you think that only having 3/8" is a problem with keeping the rims on? It looks like the tyres will fit right and w/o clearance issues. I got these rims cheap with the intention of running my winters on, but wouldn't feel bad about selling them off if any of you think that I should.

Cheers, :beer: Lint

Just found this out: Minimum thread engagement must be equal to the thread diameter of the wheel stud or lug bolt.

Edited by lint

WhIch Toyota wheels? If they are the aluminum "4 spoke" wheels they use different lugs that actually set 'into' the wheel some, I don't think regular acorn lug nuts will work with them.

Yeah, yeah, the ali "4 spoke" ones from 86-94 truck. Maybe I'd be good to go if I got a different taper lug nut?

Edited by lint

do the toyota wheels have the tapered seat? or just a hole? If the wheels have just the hole than you need to use lug nuts with washers, and those lugs go inside the hole and you should be fine, if the toyota wheels have the tapered seat for the lug, 3/8 may not be enough but you could get longer studs

My toyota wheels are steel as far as I know? Painted silver from the factory, black underneath. With a tapered lug seat. They fit just fine, I didn't have to trim the fenders. Dunno about the lugs though, I never noticed a lack of stud length showing, but that should be just fine. the tires actually stick out a little to provide some body protection as well, unlike the tucked lego's.

The style I run: IMG_2231.jpg

Came on most of the pickups and 4runners.

the 4 spokes like these...

1254867807.jpg

use lugs like these...

855438bf.jpg

that actually set into the lug holes a little, hence the "less thread" issue you got. Like I said though, I don't honestly know if regular acorn lugs will work

the 4 spokes like these...

1254867807.jpg

use lugs like these...

855438bf.jpg

that actually set into the lug holes a little, hence the "less thread" issue you got. Like I said though, I don't honestly know if regular acorn lugs will work

Nunya, Thanks!!! Those are the rims! That was exactly the info I was looking for. Too bad the Toyotas use a different thread pitch (12mm x 1.5) on their studs from Nissan (12mm x 1.25)...bummer. :thumbsdown: ....well, wish me luck trying to find a "top hat" lug nut with a Nissan pitch. I still have time before the snow starts to fly.

all the steel wheels I've ever seen will use a tapered lug nut, the toyota wheels posted, I read the other night that they were available with both type of lugs, I would guess the older wheels use the lugs with the washers (known as "mag style" but the newer wheels probably just use the tapered lug nut. Most modern wheels use the tapered lug nuts as the manufacturers are moving away from the lug nut with the washers. You should be able to get lug nuts with the washers in the Nissan thread no problem.

a few for example:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Wheel-Lug-Nut-Dorman_9100244-P_970_R|GRPWHELAMS_983142594___

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-7540080/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GOR-73127/

all the steel wheels I've ever seen will use a tapered lug nut, the toyota wheels posted, I read the other night that they were available with both type of lugs, I would guess the older wheels use the lugs with the washers (known as "mag style" but the newer wheels probably just use the tapered lug nut. Most modern wheels use the tapered lug nuts as the manufacturers are moving away from the lug nut with the washers. You should be able to get lug nuts with the washers in the Nissan thread no problem.

Yeah, they made Legos that used those that type of lug nut, so they shouldn't be a hard to find thing.

a few for example:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Wheel-Lug-Nut-Dorman_9100244-P_970_R|GRPWHELAMS_983142594___

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-7540080/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GOR-73127/

Thanks for this link! The yokel shop here wants 73.00 for a set of 24. eeesh!

Edited by lint

73? go to the junkyard man! lug nuts are laying all over the place. and I've always referred to those type of lugnuts as "shoulder lugs" I used to have a whole bag of them as I bought a set of wheels off ebay and the dude included a full set (16) but the wheels I had on the car already used shoulders.

Nunya, Thanks!!! Those are the rims! That was exactly the info I was looking for. Too bad the Toyotas use a different thread pitch (12mm x 1.5) on their studs from Nissan (12mm x 1.25)...bummer. :thumbsdown: ....well, wish me luck trying to find a "top hat" lug nut with a Nissan pitch. I still have time before the snow starts to fly.

My 87 came with those shoulder style lugs on lego wheels. So it shouldn't be too hard to find.

James

Yeah yeah, off to the JY today....there is no way in hell I will pay 73 for lug nuts! My tranny cooler didn't even cost that much! I'll look for some Jeep GC coils too while I'm there...