Front wheel click

Greetings all!

I have a peculiar issue. I have painstakingly changes the rotors and pads on my 02 path. I freshened the bearings grease replaced the rear grease seal and reinstalled...with the correct 4wd bearing procedure...I have the most annyoing click.

This click was there before the brake job and is still exactly there after.

With the manual hubs on 2x4 I even tried to put it into 4wd to "test" the CV axle for click-y-ness...nothing changes. My theory here was that on occasion after market CV's clamp on the outter boot make contact with the top of the ball joint...the click continues....not a small one, the kind that echo's on a quiet night!

This noise showed up after I got new wheels. The fronts have no center cap as the Warn's stick out. The center bore is larger than the OEM dbl tri star wheel...I am at a loss and do not want to be concerned about this issue for a long road trip I am planning in another month.

Any ideas would be most appreciated!!

Edited by 02silverpathy

Greetings all!

I have a peculiar issue. I have painstakingly changes the rotors and pads on my 02 path. I freshened the bearings grease replaced the rear grease seal and reinstalled...with the correct 4wd bearing procedure...I have the most annyoing click.

This click was there before the brake job and is still exactly there after. The front tire was rotated to the back of the truck...still the front wheel clicks. With the manual hubs on 2x4 I even tried to put it into 4wd to "test" the CV axle for click-y-ness...nothing changes. My theory here was that on occasion after market CV's clamp on the outter boot make contact with the top of the ball joint...the click continues....not a small one, the kind that echo's on a quiet night!

This noise showed up after I got new wheels. The fronts have no center cap as the Warn's stick out. The center bore is larger than the OEM dbl tri star wheel...I am at a loss and do not want to be concerned about this issue for a long road trip I am planning in another month.

Any ideas would be most appreciated!!

Sounds like it could be loose lug nuts or lug nuts that are not properly seated. Are you using closed or open lug nuts? Are the new wheels hubcentric?

Closed long lug nuts...wheels are not hubcentric. I snug the lug nuts, then spin, then tighten, as told to me by an ASI tech (if thats worth anything these days). All wheels have been off and rotated...just this one continues to click.Would bearings click? I thought they always groaned.

****I am going to check the inner wheel weights tomorrow***as I am thinking back that I did not rotate the pass side due to wear issues on the rear tire.****

Edited by 02silverpathy

i had this issue, can you move your cv in and out at ALL from the hub? reach behind the brake and just move it in and out of the transaxle. mine had some play, had to get a thicker snap ring, fixed my click.

also make sure the screws in the bearing retainer are snug. one of mine fell out and was free floating inside my hub

Edited by skulptr

Ok, so I didn't go pull the hub off...which I will tomorrow, but after checking the left and right CV, they have the same amount lateral play. after looking at several brake DIY's that snap ring does go on the ring land further into the hub, not on the outter area.

...there is nothing in the tire

....the wheel weights are on tight

I am going to have to get this in the air and spin it---it does not go away with braking, in case I didn't mention that yet.

you don't have to pull the hub off to check the snap ring. its on the very outer of the spline. if you had auto hubs, it would have been that ring just under the little black dust cap. i'm not sure how the manual hubs are set up, but i will know in a few weeks :jig:

you don't have to pull the hub off to check the snap ring. its on the very outer of the spline. if you had auto hubs, it would have been that ring just under the little black dust cap. i'm not sure how the manual hubs are set up, but i will know in a few weeks :jig:

Oh, well on the CV there are 2 areas to put a snap ring....from your bearing pull grease etc thread you show that outter one....there is on hiding just inside your spindle in that pic too. I put my snap ring there....manual hubs are awesome........untill you gotta get out and spin them! They are worth the $$$ !

Is it a constant clicking when the wheel is rolling? Have you checked your swaybar endlinks?

Yes constant clicky...have not checked the endlink on this side...maybe it clicks?

I hope I hope I hope!

The brakes were a bear...I had a rusted slide pin that cooked (blued) a rotor after I put new pads and rotors on. I took the time to remove all and re-grease as I was certain that the grease was shot. This was on the driver side...now the pass side click grows enough to concern me, lol the 02 doesn't love me like the 98 did!

UPDATE:

This noise is only when driving, not in the air,

There is no contact from the dust sheild, but I pryed it back some anyway.

The front bearing was a little loose, so I tightened it.

The end link is tight.

The ball joint is tight.

The tie rod is tight.

The manual hubs are working and it does not make that noise with the hubs on or off, in the air.

The click varies with speed, so it is rotational.

I still have a click...what is left?

Edited by 02silverpathy

did you check your hip??????????? LOL Im at a loss as well...i know my click comes from my steelies rubbing on my caliper...THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO FIT!!!!

Tye

On the same note as the person referred to about your wheels, what kind of wheels are they? Are they tape weights inside? Pound on all around? Many times wheels weights will hit brake calipers or what not that can cause a click. Check the weights at every position.

Also, if you have the WARN manual hubs, the snap ring in the hub should be all the way inside the hub. You'd probably have to snug the hub a bit just to have enough room to getthat snap ring on. Grab a snap ring tool and that'll make it tons easier to get it on and off. The axle should only move maybe a cm or so with the snap ring in place.

Does the clicking come only from one side? Aside from rotational speed, does it change in volume intensity, can it felt through turns, acceleration, braking, or in the steering wheel, pedal, etc.?

Here's another thing to check. Are there any rocks, nails, or anything that have embedded themselves into your tire(s)? Just a little thing to check. I get a lot of members coming into the tire center that hear a constant, rotationally varying click and all it is is a rock in between the tread. Doubt it's the problem, but you never know.

--SOLUTION!--

Inner wheel bearing was deprieved of grease and had been clicking around. I bought a new bearing just in case. I repack the inner bearing and noise is gone! I had not removed the inner bearing previously to put on the new rotors so I did not check them....it seems elementary of me now. :blond:

In this great process I have also bought a grease gun to do the ZERKs on the driveshafts as well.

Thank a million to all that gave input...I followed all paths to get to this answer!

:beer:

Edited by 02silverpathy

• 1 month later...