Heater is stuck on "foot position"

zeppelindrummer

Okay, so when i first got my new pathfinder, the heater controls worked fine, but relatively recently, the switch to change from, defrost, to upper vents, to lower vents got stuck on the lower position. I can still click the other buttons that would normally adjust where the air comes out, but it stays on the lower vent, foot position.

The switch that changes from cold to hot still works, and from Auto-3 (air power) works fine as well. I really don't understand what this could be?

Me and Adamazan went to a junkyard, and got the little control panel for the ventilation system

we put it in, and it had the same problem.

Before the switch stopped working i noticed the lights on it flickered every now and then, and eventually they all turned off, and that is when it got stuck on the lower vent option.

Winter is coming, and i really want my defroster to work!

Any ideas on what it could be? could the other button module i got from the junkyard have had the same problem? or is it deeper within the wiring?

I'm really stuck.

thanks everybody

-Zepp

I included a picture so you could see what style vent controller i have

2432672b.jpg

Edited by zeppelindrummer

Not sure on the autos, but for the manual control, the cam to turn the flap is on the driver's side up under the dash. My 88 slider doesn't work so great anymore, so I reach up and turn the cam rather than use the slider.

Edited by GrimGreg

This being an Auto AC system the first thing I would look at is the Mode Door Actuator is kaput. This actuator moves the mode door from floor vents to defroster vents.

This actuator is located on the far left of the AC system behind the glove box.

Alternately the connecting rod from the actuator to the air mode door may have simply come off.

Thanks guys, i'll check into the actuator, and if i can't figure out, i'll try and manually get it pushed up to defrost for when the snow starts coming. I would like to get it fixed though... i checked for fuses and found nothing, i haven't checked the relays but i will.

and Tungsten, haha that was a picture i had used in a different thread looking for the vents. The epoxy didn't hold up, and it all fell everywhere.

I have work off monday, so i'm gonna try and figure everything out then... the pathy has been on the back burner lately though, me and my buddy have been swapping a 3.4 into his 3.0 Toyota pickup. Its quite a job, but its really fun, and going along pretty smoothly.

I'll check back once i've checked everything else on my dash. thanks again.

-zepp

Just to add, his AC will not engage as well. I don't mean by lack of charge but the button doesn't seem to light up even. The lights don't work on the module and the JY did the same. It must be something else.