Gauges questions...

WyKi

Ok here they are... Why does my tach needle go up and down during idle sometimes? it like revs up and down up and down continuously.. but it doesn't do it everytime i turn the PF on, just sometimes. Next questions are my temp gauge doesnt work either, is there a fuse for it? and my speedo doenst want to go up either, it just stays stuck at 0 , it does have the tip bent in a little bit towards the face of the speedo, but i'm not sure if its touching it. Do these paths come with a cable on the speedo or are they electrical? and one last question.. my path has an Aut. transmission and there is this little button on the dash that says AT power/economy and it has a little light on it. Well sometimes when I turn the PF on the little light on it flashes once solid then flashes 16 times, is that something I should be worried about? thanks. and sorry for asking too much questions.

if your missng the clear plastic cover the wind will dance your tach needle.

slide a piece of cardboard under your spedo needle and heat it soft with a blow drier. Keep close watch of everything arround it.

let if cool for 10 min. If its still bent use thicker cardboard and try again.

They are electrical. The signal comes from the distributor. Its about an even split between the wiring and the actual tachometer. I've read a couple threads about a "tachometer resistor" available from the dealer. There is also a voltage regulator on the back of the gauge cluster that goes bad. Some people have fixed the tachometer problems by carefully tightening the connections. My tachometer has never given me any trouble, so I'm sorry I can't be much help. My transmission power light has never blinked. Sounds like a transmission trouble code. Hopefully others here can help.

mm, ok cool thanks for the replys... now how about do I go to check "that" code? :)

mm, ok cool thanks for the replys... now how about do I go to check "that" code? :)

This is the trans test For a 92 Path...others are similar. Keep in mind when my POWER light started flashing I ran the test right at that time it started flashing and it gave a trouble code...After that one instance, the POWER light was normal upon startup thereafter, and a trouble code was and still wont display upon testing. :shrug: I cant find a reference on if it stores a code for a period of time. After the last step when you depress the accelerator, read your power(OD)light. There will be a start signal and 10 judgement flickers after that. Count the flickers...when it holds a flash(for like 2 seconds) thats your trouble code.

If it starts, then blinks 10 times normally, there's no trouble code.

1) Turn ignition switch to OFF position. Set power shift switch to AUTO

position. Set overdrive switch to ON position and move selector lever

to "P" position. Turn ignition switch to ON position, but DO NOT start

engine. If power shift indicator lamp comes on for about 2 seconds, go

to next step.

2) Turn ignition switch to OFF position. Push shift lock

release button. Move selector lever to "D" position and set overdrive

switch to OFF position. Turn ignition switch to ON position, but DO

NOT start engine. Wait for more than 2 seconds, after turning ignition

switch ON, and move selector lever to "2" position.

3) Set overdrive switch to ON position and move selector

lever to "1" position. Set overdrive switch to OFF position. Depress

accelerator pedal to floor and release. Power shift indicator lamp

will flash trouble code.

Edited by amo1dun

My speedometer gauge was warped for 3 years. Wouldn't go over 30mph unless you smacked the cluster, and it would still stick going down.. Thats the only reason I bought my malibu was my ma wouldn't let me fix it and I needed to take drivers ed test, lol.

It was just sun warped towards the gauge panel and dragging, I took it apart, bent the needle a little bit back, and put a tiny drop of petroleum jelly along where it touched...never had an issue since!

My daggum gauge cluster is all jacked up. If I had the time to let my truck sit for about a week, I would yank it out and make my own. Unfortunately the speedometer would present an issue. So I would end up having to use the factory one, just disconnect it from everything else...might work out I guess...just a thought, more like a late night ramble.

So I did the test for the trans. the way amo1dun said, and so this is what happened:

1 solid flash (but it was a slow one compared to the others)paused then 2 flashes paused then 8 really quick flashes.

what code is that?

I also did the self diagnostic test with the ECU and got code 14 and code 33

anyone has a pic as to where the vehicle speed sensor is located?

and what to do about the "heated oxygen sensor" and how many oxygen sensors does the PF have? as my dad's neon has 2 OX sensors :scratchhead:

Thanks guys... :D

well the pathy from 93 down are cable drive speedos, the temp might now work because of a bad thermostat

i know nothing about the auto trans besides they over heat and need tranny coolers

well the pathy from 93 down are cable drive speedos, the temp might now work because of a bad thermostat

i know nothing about the auto trans besides they over heat and need tranny coolers

I took the dash out before to polish the clear glass over the gauges, and saw the cable , but then why does the ecu throw the speed sensor code then? Mine is a 92 AUT. :unsure:

So I did the test for the trans. the way amo1dun said, and so this is what happened:

1 solid flash (but it was a slow one compared to the others)paused then 2 flashes paused then 8 really quick flashes.

what code is that?

I also did the self diagnostic test with the ECU and got code 14 and code 33

anyone has a pic as to where the vehicle speed sensor is located?

and what to do about the "heated oxygen sensor" and how many oxygen sensors does the PF have? as my dad's neon has 2 OX sensors :scratchhead:

Thanks guys... :D

If the 2nd flash on the power light is staying lit longer than the others then thats the VSS.

• 3 weeks later...

So I did another code check on the POWER light, and at first it just kept on flashing like crazy....and it didnt stop. so I did the procedure again and now it keeps one paused flash then 10 quick ones. And did another one on the ECU and got only 1 code 55. Any idea? as now my truck is in no movement whatsoever... :(

Edited by WyKi

So I did another code check on the POWER light, and at first it just kept on flashing like crazy....and it didnt stop. so I did the procedure again and now it keeps one paused flash then 10 quick ones. And did another one on the ECU and got only 1 code 55. Any idea? as now my truck is in no movement whatsoever... :(

Did you unplug the - side of the battery or have a dead battery since u posted that

codes were present?

yes i did... so that means my ecu erased the codes am I right?

IIRC, i think its 50 engine starts or - side of battery disconnection to erase stored ecu codes....may be the same with trans test :shrug:

• 1 year later...

if your missng the clear plastic cover the wind will dance your tach needle.

slide a piece of cardboard under your spedo needle and heat it soft with a blow drier. Keep close watch of everything arround it.

let if cool for 10 min. If its still bent use thicker cardboard and try again.

Just did this the other night, works great, although my needle fell off afterwards and when I put it back on it was 10km/h out, so I went for a drive down the road at 10km/h and pushed the needle on and now its within 1km, stoked. thanks heaps!