Loud banging/clicking noise when doing sharp turns

zelix

i get a really awfully sounding banging sound when always when turning the wheels all the way in one direction going in reverse and sometimes while moving forward....

it does not sound good, anyone know what the problem is, how bad it is, what to do?

Could be your rear LSD.(I'm assuming you have one) Mine pops and the tires complain a little on hard lock reverse. Just hear tires on hard lock foward.

Check your fluid level. Might even change it since most ppl don't know how old it is or if its even the correct fluid....

... and the correct fluid is 75w90 API GL5. The lable MUST say for use with Limited Slip Differentials. If it doesen't they you need to put LSD additive in it.

I personally reccomend Redline oil as its long liffe, specifially designed for high stress LSD and its rated as an energy coserving oil (may help your MPGs but don't cross your fingers)

try lubing your turning radius stops. Put a little grease on there and see if that makes it go away. The steering knuckle and the LCA make contact at full turn and the sound can be an Awful metal to metal sound. Thats certainly an easy fix to eliminate so try that first.

Agree completely with everyone else. Have you also checked to see if it is something as simple as tires rubbing ? My 32s made the same sound until I trimmed the wheel wells. :shrug: Good luck !

try lubing your turning radius stops. Put a little grease on there and see if that makes it go away. The steering knuckle and the LCA make contact at full turn and the sound can be an Awful metal to metal sound. Thats certainly an easy fix to eliminate so try that first.

what would these be? a pic maybe would be nice. Thanks!

On your Lower Control Arm right by the shock mount there is a little piece of metal sticking up on the outside edge. It has a slight arc in it. That makes contact with the Steering Knuckle bump stop. Just put some lube on the little arced metal tab sticking up. There is another one on the front as Tmoore4512 is about to show you with a picture as well.

Edited by Dowser

nastyangle3.jpg

The little hook that is leaning/curved left on the lower control arm...and the nipple on the spindle right above the lower ball joint (not literally, just in the picture)...that is the points you should throw some grease on...nasty metal to metal sound when contact is made...

allright thanks!, ill check it out grease it up, silverton says bad bushings on sway bar is this the same/similar to what my school mechanic teacher saying i need "new stableizer bar links" a few months ago?

allright thanks!, ill check it out grease it up, silverton says bad bushings on sway bar is this the same/similar to what my school mechanic teacher saying i need "new stableizer bar links" a few months ago?

Yes... They are the same thing.

Sway bar = Stabilizer Bar.

Okay guys, hate to thread jack...but where can I get some new CV axles on the cheap?

Bought mine new from Carquest for $69 each.