Fog lights

You can just tap a parking light wire for this. But only use the P.Light lead to run a relay. Run the main power for the driving lights through the relay from the battery.

You can just tap a parking light wire for this. But only use the P.Light lead to run a relay. Run the main power for the driving lights through the relay from the battery.

x2 :goodpost:

don't want to fry the running light circiut

what ever wire you use for the trigger of a relay will not fry or overload anything, the relay trigger only requires milli amps of power to turn the relay on. You can wire your lights with the relay as normal but tap into the parking light wire for the trigger, you can also wire the trigger to a switch (at the same time) so you can turn the lights on without the parking lights if you wanted too. the second way is good for reverse lights so you could turn them on when not in reverse for say setting up a camp site or whatever.

Edited by ahardb0dy

Mine has the factory fog lights. I just to be able to have the fog lights on without running the headlights. I'll look at the wiring harness to see where I can piggyback into so the fog light switch will activate

if your lights only come on when the headlights are on than the relay trigger is coming off the headlight power wire, do they only come on when the headlights are on low beam? or high beam also? all you would have to do is find the trigger wire, remove it from the headlight wire and run it to the switch

Edited by ahardb0dy

If you have to pass any kind of inspection where they make sure your vehicle works like it did from the factory, this modification will make you automatically fail.

Legally (read: federal regulation BS), your fog lights should not operate unless the headlights are turned on as well, and foglights are to turn off when the high beams are turned on.

But, by all means, please do this. All you need to do is tap a power wire from your parking lights, and have it trigger the relay to turn the fog lights on. Or, to have them act independently from everything else, find the relay, and run a wire from the trigger pin, to a constant power source, aka the battery. Then you would have total control of the fog lights from the switch inside the truck.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the help. Here in Alabama there is no type of inspection. I bought the truck in Kentucky and when I brought it home they didn't even check the VIN. Really like the truck and for only thousand bucks, can't beat it.

we also have no inspections down here in Florida, good thing as my 87 hardbody even when all the emission equipment was intact would never pass inspection, I had heard a long time ago that Nissan rushed the VG30's into production and that's why they had emission problems, don't know how true that is.

So no inspections where you live so you can hook up the lights either way as I suggested and as others did as well

I like the no inspection. The rear bumper was rusted between the license plate and the frame mounts so I cut the rotten metal out and put steel plate in. Then I cut out a square in the new metal and placed expanded metal. Put lights in behind the grate and now there protected.

All I did when I swapped consoles is remove the factory fog light switch, and splice a fused 12v source into the side that goes out to the fog light relay. Now I can run the fog lights any time, lights on or not. Works pretty good.