Pathfinder Air Box Mod

Nickj

Hey all

Unless you have a snorkel fitted, the Pathy does suffer a little from air intake capacity. I did this simple and cheap mod to help both air flow and be able to plug it up when doing river crossings.

Well, after a trip to my LP Gas mechanic for a tune up last year to find they drilled 2 x 25mm holes in the bottom of the air box to allow better air flow, I decided to follow Geoff57 (PCOA) and do a better job than they did. It cost less than $20!

air1.jpg

Before

I used a black poly "riser pipe" and cap of about 60mm diam. The cap is used for water crossings to seal the new air intake up to stop water ingress. The end of the pipe protrudes through the hole into the inner guard. I held the pipe in and sealed up the gaps with Silasek which I bought from the Hardware store.

air2.jpg

The parts. They are rural water pipe fittings available from your rural pipe parts shop. about 60mm diam.

air3.jpg

Removed the airbox and mark the direction of the hole with some tape so that I knew which angle to drill it on. I used a 2 5/8 hole saw to cut the hole, it was a litttle bigger than the pipe but I wasn't going to buy the right size. the Silasek takes up the small gap.

air5.jpg

Finished item, please excuse the sun glare in the pic, the Silasek doesn't really make a mess, just looks that way. :roll:

Nick

nice ingenuity I think I would do something like this, before I get all the replies saying water will get in, blah blah, I don't take nor do I plan to take my truck in deep water or the stuff they call "mud" down here n Florida, anyway

get one of these:

crsqa.jpg

Small Black NACA Duct

The NACA duct or NACA scoop is a common form of low-drag intake design, originally developed by the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics (the precursor to NASA) in 1945. When properly implemented, it allows air to be drawn into an internal duct, often for cooling purposes, with a minimal disturbance to the flow. The design was originally called a "submerged inlet," since it consists of a shallow ramp with curved walls recessed into the exposed surface of a streamlined body, such as an aircraft. It is especially favored in racing car design.

Takes 3" Hose

than mount it in the hood and run a 3" hose to the air cleaner box

so does the pipe go through the inner fender and is capped off inside the air box for water crossing?

yes it does finish just inside the fender area and yes the cap is screwed on inside the air box.

Nick

yes it does finish just inside the fender area and yes the cap is screwed on inside the air box.

Nick

That seems like it would be rather inconvenient to have to get out, pull apart the air box and have the cap handy to protect the added hole. All I did with my truck is remove the intake silencers, basically the extra tubing. I realize I may have made the point of air intake lower, but I don't plan on any deep water travel, and I noticed slight throttle response, a noticeable growl from the intake, the lowest point of the airbox is basically at the top of the tire, which by then water is already getting inside the truck...

That seems like it would be rather inconvenient to have to get out, pull apart the air box and have the cap handy to protect the added hole.

As soon as we pull off the bitumen and on to the dirt tracks, we stop to air down and lock the hubs. This is a great time to screw that cap on if deep rivers are approaching. I leave my cap in the glove box but you could leave it floating around in the air box. It can't go anywhere.

Nick

How is the pipe sitting inside the fender ?

Does it go all the way inside the wheel well ?

And when it rains don't you fear that the tire project water

inside the tube.

How is the pipe sitting inside the fender ?

Does it go all the way inside the wheel well ?

And when it rains don't you fear that the tire project water

inside the tube.

the fender should have a plastic liner in place to reduce corrosion from road spray. It would prolly cover the tube as well.